From: Bob Wang on
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AIX_0nMlIBU

"Andrew" <andrew(a)jkl.com> wrote in message
Mr.Jan wrote:
Casablanca. Captain Renault on gambling, as he's busy stuffing his own
winnings into his pockets.

From: Andrew Hamilton on
On Sun, 27 Jun 2010 12:40:22 -0600, Robert Neville <dont(a)bother.com>
wrote:

>I think you need to draw a difference between server based and cloud based. All
>your financial info is already on your bank's server. When you sign up as a Mint
>retail customer, they are scraping all your account info into a server they
>control.
>
>Not really a classic definition of cloud based computing in the sense that the
>data and processing resides on a system controlled by Amazon Web Services and
>the like.

A distinction without a difference as far as I'm concerned. Either the
data resides on my system, or on "their" system, whereever it may be.

On one level, cloud computing is "back to the future." Anyone
remember time-sharing? The company TymShare? 2741 "golf ball"
terminals? Anyone? :)

From: Mr.Jan on
On Jul 1, 1:59 am, Andrew Hamilton <Ahamilton90...(a)yahoo.com> wrote:
> On Sun, 27 Jun 2010 12:40:22 -0600, Robert Neville <d...(a)bother.com>
> wrote:
>
> >I think you need to draw a difference between server based and cloud based. All
> >your financial info is already on your bank's server. When you sign up as a Mint
> >retail customer, they are scraping all your account info into a server they
> >control.
>
> >Not really a classic definition of cloud based computing in the sense that the
> >data and processing resides on a system controlled by Amazon Web Services and
> >the like.
>
> A distinction without a difference as far as I'm concerned. Either the
> data resides on my system, or on "their" system, whereever it may be.
>
> On one level, cloud computing is "back to the future."  Anyone
> remember time-sharing?  The company TymShare?  2741 "golf ball"
> terminals?  Anyone?  :)

I do wish there was some independent way of determining the level of
risk or security. The company providing the service says they are
perfectly safe (as BP did with their well) and yet there is a real
danger of losing control. I take the approach that the chance,
however small, of someone getting my data is there so I must check my
activity daily. I really like the Mint feature where they notify me
by email of any transaction over a certain amount. I would prefer it
did not take 24 hours but it is a nice safeguard.
From: Robert Neville on
Andrew Hamilton <Ahamilton90900(a)yahoo.com> wrote:

>Anyone
>remember time-sharing? The company TymShare? 2741 "golf ball"
>terminals? Anyone? :)

Sure: c 312151

The first three digits were the area code, the second three were the specific
machine.
From: Eric J. Holtman on
Andrew Hamilton <Ahamilton90900(a)yahoo.com> wrote in

> On one level, cloud computing is "back to the future." Anyone
> remember time-sharing? The company TymShare? 2741 "golf ball"
> terminals? Anyone? :)

TI-700 terminals?