From: Notan on
On 6/27/2010 4:11 PM, Robert Neville wrote:
> Marty<mrmarty(a)attglobal.net> wrote:
>
>> Quicken allows me to track all of my financial info from all of my FIs
>> in one place, my computer.
>> That is what I like about Quicken.
>
> Same here. Unfortunately, we and the others who use Quicken seem to be in the
> minority...

I'm not sure it's a majority/minority thing, as much as
it is Intuit doing what's best, financially, for Intuit.
From: Mr.Jan on
On Jun 27, 12:31 pm, Robert Neville <d...(a)bother.com> wrote:
> Spent a little time reviewing some changes to my primary bank's web site (a
> major national financial institution). After a few minutes looking at their new
> "Money Manager" features, I realized I was looking at a branded version of Mint.
> While there is no mention of Intuit or Mint, all the Mint features (transaction
> classification, links to other bank accounts) were all there.
>
> From this I deduce that Intuit will follow a similar strategy for Mint as they
> did with Quicken: Pitch Mint as the retail product unaffiliated with any
> specific financial institution to consumers and pitch a customized version to
> banks as a means of holding on to their customers.
>
> This has two benefits for Intuit: it continues their three revenue stream
> strategy (consumer referal fees, bank licensing fees, embedded advertising) and
> it gives them a way to interface with financial institution account data beyond
> screen scraping.

I have been using Mint and Yodlee for a long time now. I use Quicken
for my real financial calculations and analysis but each of the
other's has it's place. Yodlee is good but I prefer Mint because
getting my password does not allow you to access my account numbers or
personal information as Yodlee does. If I can't log into Quicken (such
as when traveling), I can log into Mint to see if there are any
unusual transactions going on.

My point is that each product has it's uses. Mint is much better for
beginning "accountants" who just need to track a few things and get
some quick spending reports. If you want to analyze your investments,
use Quicken.
From: Eric J. Holtman on
"Mr.Jan" <jan.hertzsch(a)gmail.com> wrote in news:f70ed12c-7c0d-42c8-999d-
969069057524(a)y4g2000yqy.googlegroups.com:

> If you want to analyze your investments,
> use Quicken.

Unless you have options, or shorts, in which case,
Quicken is worse than useless.
From: Mr.Jan on
On Jun 29, 8:48 am, "Eric J. Holtman" <e...(a)ericholtman.com> wrote:
> "Mr.Jan" <jan.hertz...(a)gmail.com> wrote in news:f70ed12c-7c0d-42c8-999d-
> 969069057...(a)y4g2000yqy.googlegroups.com:
>
> > If you want to analyze your investments,
> > use Quicken.
>
> Unless you have options, or shorts, in which case,
> Quicken is worse than useless.

Good lord! Do you mean to say it does not do everything? I am
shocked. Shocked, I tell you. (Maltese Falcon?)
From: Andrew on
Mr.Jan wrote:
> On Jun 29, 8:48 am, "Eric J. Holtman" <e...(a)ericholtman.com> wrote:
>> "Mr.Jan" <jan.hertz...(a)gmail.com> wrote in
>> 969069057...(a)y4g2000yqy.googlegroups.com:
>>
>>> If you want to analyze your investments,
>>> use Quicken.
>>
>> Unless you have options, or shorts, in which case,
>> Quicken is worse than useless.
>
> Good lord! Do you mean to say it does not do everything? I am
> shocked. Shocked, I tell you. (Maltese Falcon?)

Casablanca. Captain Renault on gambling, as he's busy stuffing his own
winnings into his pockets.

Regards -

- Andrew