From: Howard Brazee on
On Wed, 3 Feb 2010 13:58:48 +1300, "Pete Dashwood"
<dashwood(a)removethis.enternet.co.nz> wrote:

>I don't think they were "wrong", but I DO think the Constitution needs an
>update in the light of what transpired on 9/11.

While I don't agree that 9/11 is what should give the update, I do
believe that we need to define the legal status of what has replaced
declared war. This is a problem older than 9/11, but would address
your concerns.

- James Madison
From: Howard Brazee on
On Wed, 3 Feb 2010 14:40:06 +1300, "Pete Dashwood"
<dashwood(a)removethis.enternet.co.nz> wrote:

>Modern Terrorists are not in the same league as these examples of
>"monsters".

I agree with this statement taken out of context. But having read
history, I disagree entirely that those other examples were lesser
atrocities.

- James Madison
From: Howard Brazee on
On Wed, 3 Feb 2010 14:48:10 +1300, "Pete Dashwood"
<dashwood(a)removethis.enternet.co.nz> wrote:

>I am becoming increasingly persuaded that we need different laws to deal
>with terrorism, and that terrorists are not entitled to the rights that
>"normal" criminals are.
>
>That doesn't mean we should demean ourselves by our treatement of them, but
>it does mean we should not afford them the refuges and loopholes that
>currently exist in most criminal justice systems.

So in our current system, what terrorists have slipped through those
loopholes?

- James Madison
From: Howard Brazee on
On Wed, 3 Feb 2010 17:29:04 +1300, "Pete Dashwood"
<dashwood(a)removethis.enternet.co.nz> wrote:

>I am always a little bit humbled, and touched, by friends who may be devout
>Christians and actually fear for my mortal soul.
>(Some of them genuinely care and don't want to see me suffering the torments
>of Hell throughout Eternity.)
>"What if you're wrong, Pete? What if you find yourself before God and have
>to account? "

Of course, what if they're wrong and Islam or Hinduism or some other
religion is right?

My son claims he never stopped believing in the Tooth Fairy, even
though he's paying out for his kids. If he loses a tooth, he wants
the money.

- James Madison
From: SkippyPB on
On Tue, 02 Feb 2010 13:05:29 -0500, Tony Harding
<tharding(a)newsguy.com> wrote:

>On 01/28/10 10:39, SkippyPB wrote:
>> On Wed, 27 Jan 2010 12:11:09 -0700, Howard Brazee<howard(a)brazee.net>
>> wrote:

>>> That's how virgins are created...
>>
>> The actual phrase is, "Killing for peace is like screwing for
>> virginity".
>
>Source? The Fugs said it the way I posted it. Personally, I don't see a
>significant difference.
>
>:)

http://www.zazzle.com/killing_for_peace_is_like_screwing_for_virginity_tshirt-235538335744994811

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20080418161351AATmjUZ

And the Fugs never said that. Here's the lyrics to their 1964 (or 65)
tune, "Kill For Peace":

http://www.poemhunter.com/song/kill-for-peace/

Regards,
--
////
(o o)

"I am not sincere, even when I say I am not."
-- Jules Renard

Remove nospam to email me.

Steve