From: Steve Schapel on
FJ,

FJquestioner wrote:
> The data is such that DEBTORID "13 = TGH" and ASSIGNORID "13 = Lifemed"
> and CURRENCYID "1=CAD" will make the query and subforms work fine on their
> own. However, when these same values are entered into the main Receipts form
> I get nothing hapeening in the subforms.

When I run the [Receipts Subform Invoices and Balances] query using the
criteria you suggested, I get 11 records, 1 each for 11 different
Invoices. However, in none of these 11 records is there anything in the
RECEIPTID field. I guess this is because there is no entry in the
Receipt Allocations table for any of these 11 Invoices? Well, RECEIPTID
is supposed to be the basis of the relationship between the main form
and the subform, according to the Link Master Fileds / Link Child Fields
properties. So the subform will not show any records. Even if there
were linking RECEIPTID data, it seems to me that the subform would
(almost?) always only show one record. I am not sure exactly, but there
seems to be a fundamental flaw in the logic here somewhere.

I tried it like this...
1. Remove the three [Forms]![Receipts]!... criteria from the [Receipts
Subform Invoices and Balances] query.
2. Set the subform's Link Master Fileds / Link Child Fields properties to:
ASSIGNORID;DEBTORID;CURRENCYID

The result of this, of course, is for the subform to show the 11
Receipts Subform Invoices and Balances records whenever the main form
contains the matching data. So this applies for example to main form
records 25-31. And one record (Invoice 4698) is shown in the subform
for all main form records where Debtor is SB and Assignor is Lifemed. I
am not sure if this is really what you are after - if so, it seems
strange to me to have the subform showing the same records for multiple
main form records, but hey - it's your database :-).

--
Steve Schapel, Microsoft Access MVP
From: FJquestioner on
Once again you've bailed me out! I can't believe I missed the obvious error
of having the RECEIPTID field as the parent/child relationship!! I had tried
doing what you did by using the DEBTORID, ASSIGNORID and CURRENCYID as the
parent/child relationship but foolishly I left the RECEIPTID field in there
too so naturally it didn't work.

So by simply removing the RECIEPTID from the parent/child relationship the
form works just fine and most importantly, it no longer crashes !!!

I feel like a complete idiot but it sure is nice to have an objective set of
eyes looking at things because sometimes its easy to miss the forest for the
trees.

So thanks once again.

BTW, I saw your profile on the MVP webiste and I notice that you live in NZ.
What a great place that is! I visited there for 3 weeks back in 2002 while
living in Tokyo and absolutely loved it. In fact I made several steps toward
seeking immigration papers but in the end decided to return to my homeland of
Canada. However, I still think I might end up there some day.....

From: Steve Schapel on
Very good, Jeff. Best wishes with the rest of the project.

Glad you liked New Zealand. I am actually Australian, but have been
living here since 1976. My daughter has just spent a year in Canada
(Calgary), and it was a great experience for her.

From: FJquestioner on
Steve,

On the bottom of my Receipts form I have a button which opens a different
form called NFI. I'd like to create a macro such that each time the NFI form
is closed, it triggers a requery of the query underlying the Receipts subform.

However, a macro that is triggered by the close of the NFI form will only
manipulate fields within that same form.

How would I set this up?

Thanks,

Jeff

From: Steve Schapel on
Jeff,

That is not correct. You can specify anything you like in the Control
Name argument of the Requery action, for example
[Forms]![Receipts]![NameOfSubform]