From: Alexander Grigoriev on
Guys, why don't you go and argue these fine points of the past somewhere
else. Here, we don't care who's got a bigger HTML tag.

From: Ivo Beltchev on
I'm actually enjoying this :)
I was accused of wasting bandwidth by one of the clowns trying to
explain Emil's joke to the other clown.
But who's wasting bandwidth now, HA!

From: Hector Santos on
Funny how hypocrisy works! eh? Sometimes a little chaos is required to
reach steady state. The good news, my sabbatical here is nearly over. :)

--
HLS
From: Ant on
"Jonathan de Boyne Pollard" wrote:

> Ant:wrote:
>> That talks about character sets, not markup language.

> No, it talks about parochialism, and the myth that there's some
> common 7-bit message format that Usenet is restricted to ...

Exactly. Character encodings, not HTML.

> ... the reasons that led to the very invention of MIME in the first
> place.

You're not posting anything that requires MIME. Hyperlinks and
emphasis marks are conventionally done in other ways on netnews -
e.g. forward slashes to denote italics.

I, like many others, believe HTML should be kept out of non-binary
newsgroups. Fair enough - a difference of opinion.

>> Except that it's not displayed by OE and is just a message ID.
>> That's not a good attribution. If I want the MID it's in the
>> references, and saying "get a proper news reader" won't make it a
>> better cite.

> The References: header is the cite.

Which is not the same as a good attribution (for readability of an
article) of who said what in quotes. Read "attribution" instead of
"cite" in my quoted text above.

>> In any case, the post to which I responded was text/plain not html

> Indeed. That made your original reply look rather silly.

Not at all. You omitted any attribution for the quoted text.

[rude redirection outside the Microsoft server ignored again]

From: Hector Santos on

> I, like many others, believe HTML should be kept out of non-binary
> newsgroups. Fair enough - a difference of opinion.

Of course, (layman) end users continue to enjoy mark up languages in
telecomputing. However, it continues to be a PITA for
implementators, especially when bad guys exploit these people.

While there was "almost" a valid argument for redundancy under low
bandwidth situations, that really doesn't apply today exactly because
the growth of end-users to use HTML.

But this is about being friendly and cooperative with the rest of the
heterogeneous mail reading world. This is not about

"what you see is what you remotely get."

HIs posting render terribly under this TBIRD reader I am using and we
saw, its doesn't render at all at the Microsoft MSDN newsgroup online
site. I can assure you there are MANY mail reading facilities who are
not going to render a pure html only display properly, or if it did
the visual display is horrible.

You (speaking in general) can't play moderator when you break *rules*
such as posting in raw HTML only and cross posting half baked messages
with background context.

> [rude redirection outside the Microsoft server ignored again]

+1

--
HLS