From: Jonathan de Boyne Pollard on

> Why are you crossing posting this?

Because it's a discussion that's appropriate to those newsgroups. Clue:
This is not the first time in history that the subject of what thread
runs after a new thread/process has been created has been discussed on
Usenet. More clue: Think about where those prior discussions were.
Even more clue: Think about what discussion topics people who subscribe
to the comp.programming.threads newsgroup might be interested in seeing.

> The OP didn't start with a cross post?

The original poster is not the ruler of Usenet. We are not magically
constrained to keep discussions in the same newsgroups that they started
in. Indeed, quite the reverse. When topics drift, and other newsgroups
become appropriate, it is good netiquette of long standing (dating back
to the 1980s) to move, or at least begin to move, to the appropriate
newsgroups. That's what newsgroups are, the primary way to label
messages according to topic, and the first way that everyone filters the
5TiB of daily Usenet traffic to include just the topics that interest
them before they even filter in any other way. This labelling is not
set in stone, never again to be altered, by the first person to post in
a thread. This is not a helpdesk, nor a web log, nor a WWW-based chat
room; it's Usenet.

> Wasted bandwidth, in any case,

That comment is based upon not understanding the system that you are
using. I suggest that you find out how cross-posting works. There are
plenty of explanations of that, so I won't repeat them. Find one and
read it. Again, this is Usenet, not Fidonet.

> at least you didn't tell him to do some thing with a banana.

Indeed. No-one anywhere in this thread has. Read properly and think.

From: Ant on

"Jonathan de Boyne Pollard" wrote:

> When topics drift, and other newsgroups
> become appropriate, it is good netiquette of long standing (dating back
> to the 1980s) to move, or at least begin to move, to the appropriate
> newsgroups.

It's also good netiquette to give attributions to what you quote and
not post in html.

From: Hector Santos on
Ant wrote:

> "Jonathan de Boyne Pollard" wrote:
>
>> When topics drift, and other newsgroups
>> become appropriate, it is good netiquette of long standing (dating back
>> to the 1980s) to move, or at least begin to move, to the appropriate
>> newsgroups.
>
> It's also good netiquette to give attributions to what you quote and
> not post in html.

Jonathan is just showing his old fidonet ECHO moderator behavior.

--
HLS
From: Jonathan de Boyne Pollard on
<head>
http-equiv="Content-Type">
</head>
appropriate, it is good netiquette of long standing (dating back to the
1980s) to move, or at least begin to move, to the appropriate
newsgroups.<br>
quote and not post in html.<br>
You're making the very same novice error addressed in point #12 of the
the <a href="http://faqs.org./faqs/usenet/what-is/part1/">"What is
Usenet?" FAQ document</a> for that newsgroup.&nbsp; It's been a Frequently
Given Answer for over 20 years.&nbsp; Read it and learn.&nbsp; When you've done
so, <a
href="http://homepage.ntlworld.com./jonathan.deboynepollard/FGA/read-the-references-header.html">read
about the References: header and how to use that</a>.&nbsp; And when you've
done that you might be ready to progress to the more complex knowledge
that HTML quoting in many newsreaders actually provides <em>more
accurate</em> attributions than other forms, including as it does an
exact <a href="http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc2392">URI for the message</a>
as a <code>cite</code> attribute.&nbsp; For advanced-level knowledge, read
the Usefor discussions of this subject, by the likes of <span
class="Apple-style-span"
style="border-collapse: separate; color: rgb(0, 0, 0); font-family: 'Times New Roman'; font-style: normal; font-variant: normal; font-weight: normal; letter-spacing: normal; line-height: normal; orphans: 2; text-indent: 0px; text-transform: none; white-space: normal; widows: 2; word-spacing: 0px; font-size: medium;">Russ
Allbery and others, in the late 1990s.<br>
From: Ant on
"Jonathan de Boyne Pollard" wrote:

> Ant wrote:
>> It's also good netiquette to give attributions to what you quote and
>> not post in html.
>
> There's a reason that you've been directed to news.newusers.questions.

It's also impolite to direct followups elsewhere without mentioning it
in the body of your message.

> You're making the very same novice error addressed in point #12 of
> the the "What is Usenet?" FAQ document for that newsgroup.

That talks about character sets, not markup language.

> HTML quoting in many newsreaders actually provides more accurate
> attributions than other forms, including as it does an exact URI for
> the message as a cite attribute.

Except that it's not displayed by OE and is just a message ID. That's
not a good attribution. If I want the MID it's in the references, and
saying "get a proper news reader" won't make it a better cite.

In any case, the post to which I responded was text/plain not html
and had no attribution.

[f/up & sarcasm ignored]