From: Hector Santos on
Ant wrote:

> Jonathan de Boyne Pollard" wrote:
>
>> Notice what M. Grigoriev said?
>
> I've made my points and so have you, albeit in a rather patronising
> and pompous manner. I'll leave with a couple of links that support my
> position. Readers can make up their own minds.
>
> http://www.imc.org/ietf-usefor/1999/Mar/0315.html
> | If you want to argue against HTML on Usenet, hey, I'm with you there.
> | Russ Allbery
>
> http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-usefor-useage
> | The followup agent SHOULD also precede the quoted content by an
> | "attribution line"

Jonathan has just been flagged again earlier today by Ace Fekay in
other Microsoft groups:

microsoft.public.windows.server.general
microsoft.public.windows.file_system

for posting html only mail that don't render correctly.

For a guy that surely likes to be heard, he sure does his best in
minimizing his audience. Go figure.

--
HLS
From: Ant on
"Hector Santos" wrote:

> What Jonathan needed to understand, there was nothing wrong with his
> authorship with mark up languages,

Well, I'd have preferred he listened to "the wise words of Russ
Allbery", as he put it.

> but that he will limit his audience by fixing the OUTPUT in one
> form.

Yes, he should use a multipart.

From: Hector Santos on
Ant wrote:

> "Hector Santos" wrote:
>
>> What Jonathan needed to understand, there was nothing wrong with his
>> authorship with mark up languages,
>
> Well, I'd have preferred he listened to "the wise words of Russ
> Allbery", as he put it.

Since he referenced him, sure. :)

But even good old Russ is just one person (opinion) too and this
really is more about common sense in interoperability which I can
assure you Russ will agree with:

http://www.imc.org/ietf-smtp/mail-archive/msg05931.html

in a semi-related case of on-going support for UUENCODED file
attachments in RFC 2822/3522 mail formats.

What is often repeated in protocol design, which I repeated and Russ
repeated again in the above thread,

Be conservative in what you send and liberal in
what you accept.

Unfortunately, when it comes to HTML, not all systems are very liberal
either due to lack of engineering, lack of MIME support or even
refusal to do HTML tag stripping because the outcome is indeterminate
and if you don't do a good job of protecting against WEB BOTS with
proper tag stripping, it might be better (security wise) just to
display it in escaped mode.

--
HLS