From: Anonymous on
In article <6f316dF9eg4oU1(a)mid.individual.net>,
Pete Dashwood <dashwood(a)removethis.enternet.co.nz> wrote:

><docdwarf(a)panix.com> wrote in message news:g6gd22$pel$1(a)reader1.panix.com...
>> In article <6f1ohgF9fdocU1(a)mid.individual.net>,
>> Pete Dashwood <dashwood(a)removethis.enternet.co.nz> wrote:

[snip]

>>>Despite your constant repetition of the "answering a question with a
>>>question is no answer at all" mantra, it simply isn't true.
>>
>> Nothing is true at all times in all places, Mr Dashwood... including this
>> statement.
>>
>>>Trotting out
>>>cliched boilerplate as if it is Holy Writ, with the only basis for it's
>>>validity being constant repetition, is unworthy of you.
>>
>> Mr Dashwood, my memory is, admittedly, porous... but I recall addressing a
>> posting to you and getting a response from you in this forum about this
>> very matter. You might want to take a look at
>>
><http://groups.google.com/group/comp.lang.cobol/msg/fd7a4badfe33496c?dmode=source>
>> and the repetition of it posted in
>>
><http://groups.google.com/group/comp.lang.cobol/msg/c5ffed30915f7f6b?dmode=source>
>> and a variant of it posted nearly a decade back in
>>
><http://groups.google.com/group/comp.software.year-2000/msg/34b3233328d534e1?dmode=source&hl=en>
>>

>Sure, I remember those posts and they demonstrate the difference between
>what you said then and what you actually do now.

Ahhhhhh, for the Oldene Dayse... when answering a question with a question
could be seen as no answer such at *ten* such answerings cannot, today!

>At that time you correctly pointed out that answering a question with a
>question CAN be employed as a dodge or prevarication ... you gave some
>examples and finished with the statement:
>
>"... and such a situation, at time, might just possibly be avoided by the
>judicious invoking of 'Answering a question with a question is no answer
>at all' ..."
>
>But, in practice, you DON'T do it "judiciously" you simply trot it out
>parrot fashion (as if it were deep wisdom), whenever anyone responds to your
>questions, with a question.

Mr Dashwood, no hypocrite I; I've been know supply it when my questions
are not involved, such as in the postings in this thread which seems to
have knotted your dainty-wear.

>If I'm wrong about this, perhaps you can provide a reference from within
>this forum where a question was asked, someone responded to it with another
>question, and you then responded WITHOUT using this cliche. I believe you'll
>be hard pressed to find such a reference.

You're requesting proof of a factual negative, Mr Dashwood... but I'm
willing to try. Please be so kind as to provide what you think might be a
workable method to determing the condition which would satisfy your
request, ie how would one find out the full set of poetings ' within this
forum where a question was asked, someone responded to it with another
question'.

If, of course, you posit a condition for fulfillment which is impossible
to meet then... well, there's room for you in a Corner Office, I'm sure.

>Fortunately, like most cliches, overuse simply devalues it and instead of
>having any useful meaning, it just becomes boring.
>
>There ARE times when answering a question with a question is no answer, but
>there are also times when it is useful. You seem to have lost sight of
>this, although you once recognised it.

If I once recognised it, Mr Dashwood, then you should, yourself, be able
to come up with examples that prove or disprove your own. It seems to me
that you are looking to do something else here instead of garnering
Greater Knowledge.

DD
From: Michael Mattias on
Amazing how many of these long and tortured threads which wander from hell
to breakfast start off with the equivalent of " I am having trouble using
something for a purpose for which it was not designed," isn't it?

MCM

From: Pete Dashwood on

"Michael Mattias" <mmattias(a)talsystems.com> wrote in message
> Amazing how many of these long and tortured threads which wander from hell
> to breakfast start off with the equivalent of " I am having trouble using
> something for a purpose for which it was not designed," isn't it?
>
> MCM

Yes.

Pete.

From: Anonymous on
In article <K__ik.2764$zv7.666(a)flpi143.ffdc.sbc.com>,
Michael Mattias <mmattias(a)talsystems.com> wrote:
>Amazing how many of these long and tortured threads which wander from hell
>to breakfast start off with the equivalent of " I am having trouble using
>something for a purpose for which it was not designed," isn't it?

Perhaps not to one who has learned from the experience of a few such
threads, Mr Mattias.

DD
From: Clark F Morris on
On Sat, 26 Jul 2008 12:56:22 +1200, "Pete Dashwood"
<dashwood(a)removethis.enternet.co.nz> wrote:

>"Clark F Morris" <cfmpublic(a)ns.sympatico.ca> wrote in message
>> much snipped
>
>> While it is easier to control most
>> kinds of access using a DBMS (network, hierarchical or relational) a
>> good query mechanism probably can handle files as well. While you may
>> be comfortable with all privileged users being able to do things on
>> the fly, I have memories of the parsing of the word sales and whether
>> or not a given transaction was a sale or reduction to sales. Part of
>> the problem is that we do not set up systems that allow users to test
>> their assumptions nor are many properly set up for good audit train on
>> corrective action. People are not trained on the nuances of the
>> systems that exist (I had one case where I was asked to write a
>> special run to delete a data base row and by investigating how the
>> system worked, I was able to tell the requester how she could do it
>> herself). Newer systems have tools for help creation so it isn't as
>> hit or miss as it was with the old CICS systems, especially with
>> packages.
>>
>> I totally support giving people the tools to do their jobs.
>
>Good. Me too :-) Files which contain a description of their own structure do
>that; files that don't, need more work.
>
>> I firmly
>> believe that packages should provide the capabilities for ad hoc
>> queries but there must be adequate support within the organization for
>> people to truly understand what they are asking.
>
>I would manage that on the basis of "What queries are users running that
>consume vast resources?" then fix it.

I am much more concerned with them getting the quality of answer they
think they are getting. In my question about what is a customer, the
answer determines how many customers an organization has when the
question of how many customers are there is asked. Making IT the
focal point for queries can be useful if the question has
multi-department implications or the nature of the data is not
completely reliable. In one place where I worked getting a definition
of sales and reduction to sales was interesting and depended on the
purpose of the use.