From: Mark Andrews on
Quick question: I read all the pages, In your opinion would you go with:
- a verisign cert $99/1 year (2 or 3 year are too expensive)
or
- a comodo cert for a few years

I would like to get one for a few years so I don't have to go through this
hassle again anytime soon.
However not sure I understand all the benefits you might get from using a
verisign cert?

I only want to deal with the message when installing the software
(downloading from website and installing).

Thanks again, I might of just bought one that was too expensive,
You saved me time and money!
Mark

PS: FYI: The one article does mention http://www.startssl.com/ which might
even have cheaper prices (however I think they require that you have already
registered, not sure). $49.95

From: Tony Toews [MVP] on
"Mark Andrews" <mandrews___NOSPAM___(a)rptsoftware.com> wrote:

>Quick question: I read all the pages, In your opinion would you go with:
>- a verisign cert $99/1 year (2 or 3 year are too expensive)
>or
>- a comodo cert for a few years
>
>I would like to get one for a few years so I don't have to go through this
>hassle again anytime soon.
>However not sure I understand all the benefits you might get from using a
>verisign cert?
>
>I only want to deal with the message when installing the software
>(downloading from website and installing).
>
>Thanks again, I might of just bought one that was too expensive,
>You saved me time and money!
>Mark
>
>PS: FYI: The one article does mention http://www.startssl.com/ which might
>even have cheaper prices (however I think they require that you have already
>registered, not sure). $49.95

If you want to use the official Microsoft "Works with Windows 7" logo
then you'd want the Verisign cert. If not then go with the cheapest.

Hmm, StartSLL registration seems to be relatively painless as all it
asks for is your name and address. I do know of one MVP associated
with them. So if that works it's even better of a deal.

Also note that code signing works best if you have a corporation. If
you're a sole proprietorship it gets tricker as, I think, some cert
issuing orgs won't deal with you. A personal code signing cert might
be next to impossible to get. Note that this paragraph may be very
wrong in some significant aspects as I'm passing on what I've read.

Tony
--
Tony Toews, Microsoft Access MVP
From: Tony Toews [MVP] on
"Mark Andrews" <mandrews___NOSPAM___(a)rptsoftware.com> wrote:

>PS: FYI: The one article does mention http://www.startssl.com/ which might
>even have cheaper prices (however I think they require that you have already
>registered, not sure). $49.95

Actually that's $49.95 for two years. An even better deal.

Tony
--
Tony Toews, Microsoft Access MVP
From: Tony Toews [MVP] on
"Tony Toews [MVP]" <ttoews(a)telusplanet.net> wrote:

>Ahh, found it. https://winqual.microsoft.com/SignUp/

<giggle> MS sure doesn't like it when you hit that URL with your
default FIrefox browser.

Tony
--
Tony Toews, Microsoft Access MVP
From: Tony Toews [MVP] on
"Tony Toews [MVP]" <ttoews(a)telusplanet.net> wrote:

>Now a Verisign code signing cert might also be quite useful

Symantec just bought them out. Enough said.

Tony
--
Tony Toews, Microsoft Access MVP
First  |  Prev  |  Next  |  Last