From: Noons on
On Dec 21, 5:09 am, Alan Wrigley
<spamha...(a)keepyourfilthyspamtoyourself.co.uk> wrote:

> Although I didn't ask the original question, I was interested because I see the
> same thing with VueScan and the Nikon 5000 - a very noticeable difference in
> colour balance between preview and scan (but not on every scan which is the
> puzzling bit).

Very interesting. Vuescan should be a little bit more "solid" in that
department. Are you on the latest version? I haven't used vuescan
much of late with the nikon scanners but it works almost without a
fault with the 4990 Epson. I wonder if it is a bug^H^H^Hfeature?
Another question: do you see this with colour negative or slide film?
From: Alan Wrigley on
Noons <wizofoz2k(a)gmail.com> wrote:

> On Dec 21, 5:09�am, Alan Wrigley
> <spamha...(a)keepyourfilthyspamtoyourself.co.uk> wrote:
>
> > Although I didn't ask the original question, I was interested because I see
the
> > same thing with VueScan and the Nikon 5000 - a very noticeable difference in
> > colour balance between preview and scan (but not on every scan which is the
> > puzzling bit).
>
> Very interesting. Vuescan should be a little bit more "solid" in that
> department. Are you on the latest version?

Possibly not. Mine will be a few months old and I haven't checked for updates
recently.

> Another question: do you see this with colour negative or slide film?

I've never tried scanning negative film. I used it for some months scanning
mostly Ektachromes and some Kodachromes (with pretty horrible results for the
latter) and only noticed the difference between the two views after getting a
Kodachrome IT8 target and calibrating it. I get much better scans of Kodachrome
now but then I started noticing the difference between preview and full scan. I
was going to drop Ed Hamrick an email about it but I've been very busy and I
want to be sure that it's not something I'm doing wrong first.

Alan
From: Noons on
Alan Wrigley wrote,on my timestamp of 21/12/2009 8:24 PM:

>> Another question: do you see this with colour negative or slide film?
>
> I've never tried scanning negative film. I used it for some months scanning
> mostly Ektachromes and some Kodachromes (with pretty horrible results for the
> latter) and only noticed the difference between the two views after getting a
> Kodachrome IT8 target and calibrating it. I get much better scans of Kodachrome
> now but then I started noticing the difference between preview and full scan. I
> was going to drop Ed Hamrick an email about it but I've been very busy and I
> want to be sure that it's not something I'm doing wrong first.

Ouch! Kodachrome has always been a problem with anything but the 9000...
You might get better results with it with Nikonscan: I don't think vuescan is
aware of all the corrections Nikon added to the latest firmware and software to
allow use of Ice with most 'chromes as well as fixing the annoying cyan colour cast.

Having said that, I'd definitely recommend you get in touch with Ed: my
experience with him has been always excellent with quick and concise replies.
He doesn't mess around: if something can't be done with vuescan, he'll spell it
out clearly. Saves heaps of time!
From: Alan Wrigley on
Noons <wizofoz2k(a)yahoo.com.au> wrote:

> Alan Wrigley wrote,on my timestamp of 21/12/2009 8:24 PM:
>
> > I've never tried scanning negative film. I used it for some months scanning
> > mostly Ektachromes and some Kodachromes (with pretty horrible results for
the
> > latter) and only noticed the difference between the two views after getting
> > Kodachrome IT8 target and calibrating it. I get much better scans of
Kodachrome
> > now but then I started noticing the difference between preview and full
scan. I
> > was going to drop Ed Hamrick an email about it but I've been very busy and I
> > want to be sure that it's not something I'm doing wrong first.
>
> Ouch! Kodachrome has always been a problem with anything but the 9000...

In a word, money...

> You might get better results with it with Nikonscan: I don't think vuescan is
> aware of all the corrections Nikon added to the latest firmware and software
> to allow use of Ice with most 'chromes as well as fixing the annoying cyan
> colour cast.

Are you saying that ICE can be used on Kodachromes with the 5000 with the right
upgrades? I thought it was only the 9000 that could do that. Also I don't think
you can calibrate NikonScan with an IT8 target, can you? I've been getting
significantly better results since I did this for VueScan. The cyan cast is
still there but it's not as instrusive and it's much more easily corrected in
Photoshop. Colours generally are brighter and truer than before (though greens
need some serious hue adjustment to make them look natural).

You've been very helpful - thanks. Sorry I was a bit offhand with you earlier in
the thread but I couldn't understand why NikonScan would use different profiles
for different stages of the process.

Alan
From: pip22 on

I can't see why you should worry about the color quality of a preview
scan. It's mainly their so you can check the area being scanned and
re-size the scan area if necessary.
It's the final scan where color quality is important since that's the
image your going to edit and eventually print, not the preview.

First  |  Prev  |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2 3 4
Prev: scanner question..please help
Next: What scanning software?