From: Alan Wrigley on
pip22 <pip22.43juhf(a)no.email.invalid> wrote:

> It's the final scan where color quality is important since that's the
> image your going to edit and eventually print, not the preview.

If a preview just did a raw scan then you would have a point. But since it
provides colour controls then it's reasonable to expect the preview to be
exactly what it says on the tin. I don't want to wait several minutes to find
out the the scan I've just done looks nothing like the preview image that I
carefully set up before scanning.

Alan
From: Noons on
Alan Wrigley wrote,on my timestamp of 22/12/2009 2:48 AM:
> pip22 <pip22.43juhf(a)no.email.invalid> wrote:
>
>> It's the final scan where color quality is important since that's the
>> image your going to edit and eventually print, not the preview.
>
> If a preview just did a raw scan then you would have a point. But since it
> provides colour controls then it's reasonable to expect the preview to be
> exactly what it says on the tin. I don't want to wait several minutes to find
> out the the scan I've just done looks nothing like the preview image that I
> carefully set up before scanning.

As well, I find it useful with Nikonscan to do most colour corrections at scan
time. This I do by balancing the colour amplifiers first and then applying
curves as necessary. Mostly because I don't have a 16-bit photo editor and
Nikonscan works in 16-bit where these things are a lot safer to do. I only use
Gimp in the final stages for minor final corrections and cropping/cleanup,
whenever that is the case.
This is where a reliable preview at scan time becomes very important.