From: Ivan on
When i scan slides with my Nikon Coolscan V ED, there are often
noticeable differences in color and tonality between Nikon Scan's
preview window and its display of the completed scan. Any idea how to
fix this? I'm using a PC with XP Pro and nVidia Quadro NVS 290
graphics card.
From: CSM1 on
Ivan <ibphot(a)verizon.net> wrote in news:4bcc5c23-425c-4b22-814c-
b142bacd3eb5(a)e27g2000yqd.googlegroups.com:

> When i scan slides with my Nikon Coolscan V ED, there are often
> noticeable differences in color and tonality between Nikon Scan's
> preview window and its display of the completed scan. Any idea how to
> fix this? I'm using a PC with XP Pro and nVidia Quadro NVS 290
> graphics card.

What about your color management?

Do you have the same color management for your Monitor, scanner and printer
using the same color space?

A lot of people use the sRGB color profile.

--
CSM1
http://www.carlmcmillan.com
From: Noons on
Ivan wrote,on my timestamp of 19/12/2009 2:37 AM:
> When i scan slides with my Nikon Coolscan V ED, there are often
> noticeable differences in color and tonality between Nikon Scan's
> preview window and its display of the completed scan. Any idea how to
> fix this? I'm using a PC with XP Pro and nVidia Quadro NVS 290
> graphics card.

You have to turn on color management in Nikonscan and chose and install one of
the many profiles available. You'll need to let Nikonscan use the same profile
for display and scanning and also install the same profile in your Windows
screen settings. Ideally they should all match, but of course you can incur the
overhead of on-the-fly profile matching.
From: Alan Wrigley on
Noons <wizofoz2k(a)yahoo.com.au> wrote:

> Ivan wrote,on my timestamp of 19/12/2009 2:37 AM:
> > When i scan slides with my Nikon Coolscan V ED, there are often
> > noticeable differences in color and tonality between Nikon Scan's
> > preview window and its display of the completed scan. Any idea how to
> > fix this? I'm using a PC with XP Pro and nVidia Quadro NVS 290
> > graphics card.
>
> You have to turn on color management in Nikonscan and chose and install one of

> the many profiles available. You'll need to let Nikonscan use the same
profile
> for display and scanning and also install the same profile in your Windows
> screen settings. Ideally they should all match, but of course you can incur
the
> overhead of on-the-fly profile matching.

But surely the question is: since the preview and the full scan are both coming
from the same scanner and being displayed on the same screen by the same piece
of software, at which point in the chain is a different colour profile being
used and why?

Alan
From: Noons on
Alan Wrigley wrote,on my timestamp of 19/12/2009 8:20 PM:

>> You have to turn on color management in Nikonscan and chose and install one of
>
>> the many profiles available. You'll need to let Nikonscan use the same
> profile
>> for display and scanning and also install the same profile in your Windows
>> screen settings. Ideally they should all match, but of course you can incur
> the
>> overhead of on-the-fly profile matching.
>
> But surely the question is: since the preview and the full scan are both coming
> from the same scanner and being displayed on the same screen by the same piece
> of software, at which point in the chain is a different colour profile being
> used and why?

And surely the answer is: if you don't tell Nikonscan which color profile to
scan with and Windows which color profile to display with, you are in a mess.
Nikonscan displays nothing, Windows does. Read on the subject, it's worth it.