From: AccessKay on
Thanks Marshall. I appreciate the additional information. I read in my
books that it's easier to set everything up first in a query before you do
the report but now I'm learning that this is not always true.

Kay

From: Marshall Barton on
No, it is true. It's the definition of "everything" that's
in question. The "everything" for a report (and most forms)
is to create a query that retrieves the appropriate fields
on all the needed and only the needed data records.
Calculations that involve information from more than a
single record, except for most aggregations, also should be
done in the query.

Formatting the field values is only done for display
purposes and should be as late in the game as possible
(typically a text box's Format property and rarely as early
as the query). Sorting, grouping and other non-trivial
formatting should also be done in the report.
--
Marsh
MVP [MS Access]

From: AccessKay on
Thanks again! I really appreciate you taking the time to expand on this. I
often have problems with “the big picture”. This understanding is a big help
to me.

Kay

"Marshall Barton" wrote:

> No, it is true. It's the definition of "everything" that's
> in question. The "everything" for a report (and most forms)
> is to create a query that retrieves the appropriate fields
> on all the needed and only the needed data records.
> Calculations that involve information from more than a
> single record, except for most aggregations, also should be
> done in the query.
>
> Formatting the field values is only done for display
> purposes and should be as late in the game as possible
> (typically a text box's Format property and rarely as early
> as the query). Sorting, grouping and other non-trivial
> formatting should also be done in the report.
> --
> Marsh
> MVP [MS Access]
>

> AccessKay wrote:
> >Thanks Marshall. I appreciate the additional information. I read in my
> >books that it's easier to set everything up first in a query before you do
> >the report but now I'm learning that this is not always true.

> >> Just use a custom format in whatever you are using to
> >> display the date. See Format Property in VBA Help for the
> >> specific codes you can use to constuct custom formats. I
> >> think you want something like:
> >> yyyymmm
> .

First  |  Prev  |