From: AccessKay on
Hi,

I have a field called TransDate that is in the format 01/01/2010 and I want
it to look like 2010Jan. Is there some way to combine the Format function or
should I be using some other function?

Thanks for the help,

Kay

From: Jerry Whittle on
In a query:

YearMonth: Format([TransDate], "yyyymmm")
--
Jerry Whittle, Microsoft Access MVP

From: Marshall Barton on
AccessKay wrote:
>I have a field called TransDate that is in the format 01/01/2010 and I want
>it to look like 2010Jan. Is there some way to combine the Format function or
>should I be using some other function?

Just use a custom format in whatever you are using to
display the date. See Format Property in VBA Help for the
specific codes you can use to constuct custom formats. I
think you want something like:
yyyymmm

--
Marsh
MVP [MS Access]
From: AccessKay on
Of course this worked...Thank you!

From: Marshall Barton on
Watch out for doing that in a query because the result is a
Text field. You don't really need to use the Format
function unless you are concatenating the formatted date
into a larger string. You can just set the query field's
Format property to make the query's datasheet look the same
and leave the field as a date field.

OTOH, you should not be concerned about how a query's
datasheet looks because users should only see the date in a
form or report text box. Then you can set the text box's
Format property instead of messing with the query.
Actually, at that point, you don't need another query field
at all, just bind a text box to the TransDate field and
format it anyway you like.
--
Marsh
MVP [MS Access]

AccessKay wrote:
>Of course this worked...Thank you!
>

>"Jerry Whittle" wrote:
>> In a query:
>>
>> YearMonth: Format([TransDate], "yyyymmm")
>>
>> "AccessKay" wrote:
>> > I have a field called TransDate that is in the format 01/01/2010 and I want
>> > it to look like 2010Jan. Is there some way to combine the Format function or
>> > should I be using some other function?
 |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2
Prev: Update Query