From: Joe Kotroczo on
On 21/12/2009 22:17, in article
3MWdnUpkG857eLLWnZ2dnUVZ_t6dnZ2d(a)giganews.com, "Soundhaspriority"
<nowhere(a)nowhere.com> wrote:

(...)

>> As for fixing what you have now? Forgetaboutit! Cameras usually have
>> auto-level
>> and compression and also pick up camera motor noise... you will never fix
>> it...
>>
>> Did you ever try an external mic? That's the least you could do...
>>
> He's a one man band. I don't see separate sound as feasible.

Bollocks. He's using a PA. Which means he's got a vocal mic inches from his
mouth. Put up another mic as audience mic, feed the camera from an aux of
the PA mixer, and Bob's your uncle.

Does need a cam with sound inputs though... Or record to DAT or whatever,
and sync in post.

--
Joe Kotroczo kotroczo(a)mac.com

From: Joe Kotroczo on
On 22/12/2009 12:50, in article
RKednTopLqwOL63WnZ2dnUVZ_qCdnZ2d(a)giganews.com, "Soundhaspriority"
<nowhere(a)nowhere.com> wrote:

>> (...)

>>> He's a one man band. I don't see separate sound as feasible.
>>
>> Bollocks. He's using a PA. Which means he's got a vocal mic inches from his
>> mouth. Put up another mic as audience mic, feed the camera from an aux of the
>> PA mixer, and Bob's your uncle.
>>
>> Does need a cam with sound inputs though... Or record to DAT or whatever,
>> and sync in post.
>>
> I think you misunderstood what I wrote. By "separate sound", I'm saying he
> should record to a camera with manual gain. Of course, he needs separate
> mikes.

I still don't see what is "not feasible" in this scenario.

A camera with a pair of XLR inputs will have manual gain. As will a DAT
recorder, or any other recorder with a pair of XLR inputs. Levels need to be
set before the show. Whoever sets the levels needs to know what he's doing.

Sounds all feasible to me.

--
Joe Kotroczo kotroczo(a)mac.com