From: Shaun Eli on
Hi. Hope this is the right place to ask.

I record my shows on a mini DV recorder (video and audio). Sometimes
when I play them back (after burning to a dvd) the audio sounds buzzy
on peak sounds. Sort of like if you turned the sound way up on a
cheap old television and the plastic TV case vibrated, or a little
fuzzy like turning up an old radio so loud it distorted. And the bass
is also boomy, though my voice itself isn't that low.

Here's a 33 second clip as an example: http://brainchampagne.com/Info/Audio.wma
(note that after the first sentence there's a bit of silence, then it
continues; the silence is because I took this from a video where I put
in titles, not because of a pause in the actual show)

It doesn't sound distorted on my computer but my computer volume
doesn't go that loud and perhaps the frequency response of my
monitor's speakers is bad. But when I play the original tape through
my tv I can hear the distortion there.

So-- any ideas about:
1. What's causing it?
2. What I can do to prevent it?
3. How can I get rid of it on existing recordings? (perhaps notch
out a certain band of frequencies? run some sort of software?)

Thanks so much!

-Shaun
From: Shaun Eli on
Well gee, thanks...

I used a six year old Canon ZR60 mini-dv camera with its built-in
microphone. Normally it sounds decent but I think the problem
resulted from the camera being too close to the PA speakers.

This camera has only two settings for audio that are changeable. 12
or 16 bit recording (they recommend 16 bit for better quality and
that's what I used) and turning the windscreen on or off (it was
probably off as this was an indoor recording).

I have a newer camera that doesn't seem to have these difficulties, or
at least so far it hasn't. I now use this older camera (with a wide-
angle lens) next to the stage, pointed at the audience. I hope that
will result in cleaner audio since it's no longer pointed at the
speakers but at the audience itself. And that if I have to, I can mix
this audio with the video from the other camera (usually at the back
of the room, pointed at the stage).

But I really want to use this clip in a promo video I'm doing. Does
anybody have a suggestion for how to cut out the buzziness on peaks?

thanks,
From: Tim Perry on

> But I really want to use this clip in a promo video I'm doing. Does
> anybody have a suggestion for how to cut out the buzziness on peaks?
>
> thanks,

The constant hum can be minimized by tools in the noise reduction section of
Adobe Audition.

You capture a sample of the noise by itself then apply it to the entire
track.

The popping noised can be minimized by the pop/click eliminator tool.

EQ / parametric EQ can be used to improve the overall recording.

In the FFT section a preset called "kill the subharmonics" or the one
called "kill the mic rumble" can reduce LF rumble thereby making the
recording suitable for playback on typical small speakers.

In cases of audio clipping the "clip restoration" can be used to improve the
audio somewhat.

The best and easiest method is to record clean audio in the first place :)

From: OldBob on
On Sun, 20 Dec 2009 11:54:32 -0800 (PST), Shaun Eli
<missingchild(a)BrainChampagne.com> wrote:

>Hi. Hope this is the right place to ask.
>
>I record my shows on a mini DV recorder (video and audio). Sometimes
>when I play them back (after burning to a dvd) the audio sounds buzzy
>on peak sounds. Sort of like if you turned the sound way up on a
>cheap old television and the plastic TV case vibrated, or a little
>fuzzy like turning up an old radio so loud it distorted. And the bass
>is also boomy, though my voice itself isn't that low.
>
>Here's a 33 second clip as an example: http://brainchampagne.com/Info/Audio.wma
>(note that after the first sentence there's a bit of silence, then it
>continues; the silence is because I took this from a video where I put
>in titles, not because of a pause in the actual show)
>
>It doesn't sound distorted on my computer but my computer volume
>doesn't go that loud and perhaps the frequency response of my
>monitor's speakers is bad. But when I play the original tape through
>my tv I can hear the distortion there.
>
>So-- any ideas about:
>1. What's causing it?
>2. What I can do to prevent it?
>3. How can I get rid of it on existing recordings? (perhaps notch
>out a certain band of frequencies? run some sort of software?)
>
>Thanks so much!
>
>-Shaun

Now you know why Hollywood uses separate sound equipment...

If you want to record decent audio in your show, you're going to have to buy an
audio recorder, maybe with mixing capabilities to use 2 mics, one for you and
one for the audience.

Typically, you can use your main mic for both PA reinforcement and audio
recording.

You can use your computer video editor to re-sync the sound later. Most programs
can do that. Some equipment can sync digitally to time code, but that's big
bucks, you don't really need it.

As for fixing what you have now? Forgetaboutit! Cameras usually have auto-level
and compression and also pick up camera motor noise... you will never fix it...

Did you ever try an external mic? That's the least you could do...

From: Joe Kotroczo on
On 20/12/2009 22:55, in article
5147c83c-d891-4238-aa68-3bed6701de31(a)h9g2000yqa.googlegroups.com, "Shaun
Eli" <missingchild(a)BrainChampagne.com> wrote:

> Well gee, thanks...
>
> I used a six year old Canon ZR60 mini-dv camera with its built-in
> microphone. Normally it sounds decent but I think the problem
> resulted from the camera being too close to the PA speakers.
>
> This camera has only two settings for audio that are changeable. 12
> or 16 bit recording (they recommend 16 bit for better quality and
> that's what I used) and turning the windscreen on or off (it was
> probably off as this was an indoor recording).
>
> I have a newer camera that doesn't seem to have these difficulties, or
> at least so far it hasn't. I now use this older camera (with a wide-
> angle lens) next to the stage, pointed at the audience. I hope that
> will result in cleaner audio since it's no longer pointed at the
> speakers but at the audience itself. And that if I have to, I can mix
> this audio with the video from the other camera (usually at the back
> of the room, pointed at the stage).
>
> But I really want to use this clip in a promo video I'm doing. Does
> anybody have a suggestion for how to cut out the buzziness on peaks?
>
> thanks,

Just two rules of thumb before I have to go to work:

- The best place to put a camera is often the worst place to put a
microphone.

- Recording audio onto a device that does not at least feature 2 XLR inputs
is usually a pointless exercise.

As far as cleaning up your audio goes: if you fancy playing around with
restauration software, go for it. But it would probably be quicker, easier,
less painful, more cost-effective to just kick that audio into the bin and
redo it. Properly this time.

--
Joe Kotroczo kotroczo(a)mac.com