From: Steve L. on
"Bob Donald" <bdonald(a)panova.com> wrote in news:bZmdnYIZz_
0MOTbWnZ2dnUVZ_t6dnZ2d(a)supernews.com:

> I could easily
> junk up the taskbar with all the pinned items I would like to have handy.

I keep my tasbar on the left so I see what's there a lot easier. ... what
I don't like about windows 7 is the wasted space the pinned programs take
I'de rather have the icons taking up as little real estate as possible
From: Nil on
On 25 Mar 2010, "Steve L." <emailme(a)myemail.addy> wrote in
cakewalk.audio:

> I keep my tasbar on the left so I see what's there a lot easier.
> ... what I don't like about windows 7 is the wasted space the
> pinned programs take ..
> I'de rather have the icons taking up as little real estate as
> possible

I didn't like the new Windows7 task bar, but I might be slowly coming
to appreciate it more. No, you don't have the quick-launch thing, and
the pinned icons are just as big as the running task icons. BUT! if you
are running one of the programs that is pinned there, that pinned icon
is highlighted, so you know it's running, and it's not duplicated as a
running task icon. That's probably not very clearly worded, but I think
I may like the new way.

I've read that there is a way to get back the old task bar behavior,
but I'm trying hard to assimilate the New Microsoft Way.

I also like it on the left side of the screen on my Netbook, since
screen real estate is so cramped.
From: Phoenix on
Quick Launch still exists; it's just hidden in a folder somewhere. I
found how to put it back once.

From: Martin Holmes on
For Linux users with Gnome (e.g. Ubuntu):

sudo apt-get install nautilus-open-terminal

gives you "Open terminal here" on the File menu and the right-click menu
on any folder.

Cheers,
Martin

From: Ben Goldman on
Martin Holmes let loose with the following tirade:

> For Linux users with Gnome (e.g. Ubuntu):
>
> sudo apt-get install nautilus-open-terminal
>
> gives you "Open terminal here" on the File menu and the right-click menu on
> any folder.
>
> Cheers,
> Martin

And Super User level at that. ;)