From: R. C. White on
Hi, All.

I've been downloading transactions from Compass Bank (now BBVA Compass) for
a few years. But this past couple of weeks has been frustrating! The
transactions come down OK, and my only Bill Pay payment worked properly.

But, over a week ago, when I did my routine One Step Update, I got a notice
from Compass Bank that their system would be unavailable on Saturday, May
15, for several hours for maintenance. No problem, except that (a) the
notice first appeared about 5 days before May 15 and has continued in EVERY
download session since then, and (b) the notice halted Quicken completely
until I clicked OK to continue - and then the same notice appeared 3 more
times before my OSU session ended, halting OSU each time until I clicked OK.
FOUR halts in each OSU session - even when I was downloading only from Wells
Fargo or Merrill Lynch, with Compass not involved at all. Yes, it also
halted 4 times when I was downloading from only Compass.

Finally, May 15 passed and I thought that the message would finally
disappear. Instead, a new message took its place - that's what's in the
attachment. (UPDATE: There's no attachment. I tried to Send this message
yesterday - with attachment - but it didn't go through. So I've typed the
whole message below.) As you can see, it notifies me of a NEW maintenance
procedure on Sunday, May 23rd, from 12 AM to 6 AM, "CT", which I assume
means Central Time, more precisely Central Daylight Time or CDT. That
notice started about May 17th and CONTINUES today, even though May 23 was 5
days ago! Still FOUR times in each OSU session, no matter how many or which
accounts are involved.

I've used Compass Bank's own online banking connection several times in this
period without a problem. I even used it to send a message to their
Customer Service - twice - and got back their boilerplate apology and
promise to fix it - twice. Then I called their 800 number and spoke to
"Chris", who put me on hold for 10 minutes, and "Ben", who could not help
but said it would be fixed by the next day, May 26th.

Today, May 28, the problem is STILL not fixed. I called their number again,
"Betty" checked with a "senior representative" who had her assure me again
that "their IT department is working on it". (I told her that I understand
that BP is "working on" the oil spill in the gulf, too, and that I'm about
as frustrated with Compass Bank as everybody is with BP!)

The nuisance continues today. :>(

Is anybody else having this problem? Does anybody else here use BBVA
Compass?

RC
--
R. C. White, CPA
San Marcos, TX

Here's the text of the message:
"Important message from Compass Bank
"Upcoming Maintenance from Online Banking: Sunday, May 23rd, beginning at
12:00 a.m. CT, access to Online Banking will be unavailable as maintenance
is applied to the system. Your Online Banking service will be back online
at 6:00 a.m. CT that day. Please sign off from Online Banking before this
maintenance begins. We encourage you not to sign on to Online Banking
during this time. If you do connect during this time, you will receive an
OL-221, OL-222 or OL-223 error message. The next time you connect, you'll
receive the message Your last online connection was not completed. Should
this happen, hold down the Ctrl and Shift keys at the same time. While
holding the keys down, click on Yes in the message box and a different
message will appear stating Would you like to skip the re-sending.... Let go
of the keys you are holding and simply click on OK on this second message.
You will be able to connect normally then if all systems are working."

Below this are two click buttons, labeled "OK" and "Print". When I click
Print, my printer prints this message (in landscape mode).

From: Bob Wang on
R. C.:
I only have a BBVA Compass Bank checking account.
I didn't even realize Quicken downloading was a possibility since the web
site only offers Microsoft Money, pdf, plain text, comma delimited and tab
delimited.
I tried to set up a download in Q2010 and got the same message you're
getting.
No success in establishing downloads to BBVA Compass for me either.
Bob

From: R. C. White on
Hi, Bob.

Thanks for the confirmation that it's not just me. Misery loves company, as
they say. :>(

Like I said, I've been downloading from Compass for a few years - mostly
successfully. Even now, there is no problem accessing my accounts at
http://online.compassweb.com. But this "maintenance" popup is new - and
infuriating! It pops up every time I use Quicken's One Step Update, even
for accounts other than Compass. No problem in actually downloading
transactions and balances or paying bills. Just that irritating popup.

RC

From: John Pollard on
R. C. White wrote:
> Like I said, I've been downloading from Compass for a few years -
> mostly successfully. Even now, there is no problem accessing my
> accounts at http://online.compassweb.com. But this "maintenance"
> popup is new - and infuriating! It pops up every time I use
> Quicken's One Step Update, even for accounts other than Compass. No
> problem in actually downloading transactions and balances or paying
> bills. Just that irritating popup.

There is something that you can try. Backup first.

Go to the Online Center. Hold down CTRL+F3 while left-clicking "Contact
Info".

Locate your fi in the resulting list, click "Refresh", then OK, (then
possibly select the fi again in the regular Online Center list), then
Update/Send.

If that doesn't help, you can try the same process, but where you clicked
"Refresh", try clicking "Delete".

I don't know how long ago your fi changed names/ownership, but if you have
financial institution names in the Online Center for fi's that no longer
exist ... you can try using the same process as above (clicking "Delete",
not "Refresh") to get rid of them.

--

John Pollard
Your source of user-to-user Quicken help

From: R. C. White on
Hi, John.

Thanks for the suggestions - but they didn't work, and they can't work
because the problem is not here in my computer. I did try the Refresh steps
(and learned a bit more about Quicken in the process), but the Delete step
looked a little too drastic and I don't think it would help, anyhow, so I
aborted it.

The name change to BBVA Compass was in early 2009, after BBVA bought Compass
Bank in about 2008. But many parts of the bank - including their website -
still use the "Compass Bank" label, so I don't think the name change is
really contributing to the problem. The message box that pops up 4 times in
each Update session is labeled "Important message from Compass Bank" and
"BBVA" does not appear in that message at all. (BBVA stands for "Banco
Bilbao Vizcaya Argentaria"; it is an international banking group based in
Spain.) Until 2 weeks ago, there was no problem downloading transactions
and balances into Quicken, and there is still no problem accessing the BBVA
Compass page at
https://online.compassweb.com/efs/servlet/compass/jsp-ns/login.jsp using my
longstanding username and password.

I'm sure the current problem is entirely on their end. Their customer
service phone representatives have apologized profusely, but can't promise a
time for resolution. As I said, they remind me of the BP executives who are
working on the fix but haven't found it yet, while fending off the public,
the president and lots of other kibitzers. Meantime, BBVA's front-line
phone troops can't do anything but try to calm me down. :^{

Looks like all I can do is wait it out.

RC