From: Richard Webb on
Steve M writes:

> "JWald" wrote:
>> I want to compress my kick drum

> Why?

My question exactly. FIrst thing to do is decide what you
want to get from it that you're not getting now, as Sylvane
described. Another post in this thread gave you some good
starting points for handling different problems that might
be solved by compression.

i note from elsewhere that you're also running sound from
the stage.

tHis is a bad recipe for good sound for paying butts. WITh
paying butts in the seats is the wrong time toe experiment
with dynamics processing whose results you *cannot* adequately hear.

Regards,
Richard
.... Remote audio in the southland: See www.gatasound.com
From: George's Pro Sound Co. on

> So I tried the comps in submaster insert rout. My conclusion is that while
> its is useful for mild situations and mostly for an instrument subgroup it
> gets in the way or becomes counterproductive in "combat audio" situations.

I disagre, my favorite solution is a digital desk with comps for everything
ready when ever you desire
my next default is comp known offenders like keys,vocals and bass before
they even turn on adjust with the off line till just barely engaging and a
very low ratio
bring them in and tweek as needed
also have a comp for each subgroup and that way if you have to comp
something just route it thru the subgroup , that way you do not have to
repatch your comps
it does limit your ability to do traditional subgroup mixing though as only
things that you want to compress are feed to a sub group
I just geared up with 20 channels of comps (composer pro 2200 and 2600's)
for use with the sx-1
george

From: Tim Perry on

"George's Pro Sound Co." <bmoas(a)yahoo.com> wrote in message

>> So I tried the comps in submaster insert rout. My conclusion is that
>> while
>> its is useful for mild situations and mostly for an instrument subgroup
>> it gets in the way or becomes counterproductive in "combat audio"
>> situations.
>>

> I disagre, my favorite solution is a digital desk with comps for
> everything ready when ever you desire
> my next default is comp known offenders like keys,vocals and bass before
> they even turn on adjust with the off line till just barely engaging and a
> very low ratio
> bring them in and tweek as needed
> also have a comp for each subgroup and that way if you have to comp
> something just route it thru the subgroup , that way you do not have to
> repatch your comps
> it does limit your ability to do traditional subgroup mixing though as
> only things that you want to compress are feed to a sub group
> I just geared up with 20 channels of comps (composer pro 2200 and 2600's)
> for use with the sx-1
> george

I guess by combat audio I meant situations with minimal setup time, no sound
check, dial it in on the fly.

Im doing big band on Wednesday, weather permitting, six saxes on a subgroup,
4 bones, 4 trumpet, number of mics vary depending on stage setup. drummer
'needs' a full mic kit, bass, guitar, keys, perc, and then vocals and a
switchable announce mic. comps will be on drums, bass, keys... keys keeps
cranking up and down during the show.

From: Denny Strauser on
Tim Perry wrote:
> Bear in mind that a compressor only reduces level by a certain amount after
> a certain threshold. While I do use them on drums I find the gate to be the
> more effective tool in getting the kind of sound I want.

While mixing down a few album tracks, I used a Pro Tools multi-band
compressor, and didn't need gates that the producer/engineer had used
mixing previous tracks. He liked my idea better & went back & remixed
drums like me on those tracks.

> If the drummer hits consistently, the comps aren't even needed. If the
> drummer suddenly starts beating it like it was a rattlesnake that needs to
> be stomped to death you can turn off the mics and it still can take your
> head off.

It also helps if drums are tuned well ...... especially, the need of
gates. So often, they aren't tuned well.

- Denny