From: alex on
can two parallel walls generate a standing wave on the carrier of a
wireless system and affect the reception of the signal, just like in sound?

alex
From: Ron on
On 26/06/2010 14:36, alex wrote:
> can two parallel walls generate a standing wave on the carrier of a
> wireless system and affect the reception of the signal, just like in sound?
>
> alex

Interesting question. The venue where I work always showed a dead spot
to a certain bodypack which was repeatable. Luckily, this is in the
audience area and not the stage, so was only a problem during certain
slide shows when the presenter stood among the audience. Changing the
make of radio removed the problem.

I presumed it to be a null caused by the freak interaction of reflected
signals, no doubt someone with more knowledge will elucidate.

Ron(UK)
From: alex on
Il 26/06/2010 15.44, Ron ha scritto:
> On 26/06/2010 14:36, alex wrote:
>> can two parallel walls generate a standing wave on the carrier of a
>> wireless system and affect the reception of the signal, just like in
>> sound?
>>
>> alex
>
> Interesting question. The venue where I work always showed a dead spot
> to a certain bodypack which was repeatable. Luckily, this is in the
> audience area and not the stage, so was only a problem during certain
> slide shows when the presenter stood among the audience. Changing the
> make of radio removed the problem.
>
> I presumed it to be a null caused by the freak interaction of reflected
> signals, no doubt someone with more knowledge will elucidate.
>
> Ron(UK)
a couple of years ago i was involved in a show inside the Florence
cathedral in italy, wich had a very complex inside geometry. I had some
20 shure wireless systems, all very close in frequency and all in
perfect working order. All showed the same behaviour: in a paticular
spot in the cathedral (close to the main entrance) we had a lot of
drops. Unluckly that was the "stage" area!
the day before i asked a friend to come with a frequency scanner to see
if was some unknown radio interference in the area. Nothing at all.
So we used another brand (very cheap chinese equipement) of mics with
different frequency range and all went good... except for the audio
quality ;-)
From: Phil Allison on

"alex"

> can two parallel walls generate a standing wave on the carrier of a
> wireless system and affect the reception of the signal, just like in
> sound?

** The reflectivity of a solid wall to RF signals in the VHF /UHF band is
not nearly so strong as it is for sound waves - so the behaviour is not the
same.

Certainly, a radio mic's signal can bounce off a wall and arrive at the
receiver out of phase with the direct signal from the same transmitter
causing reception to almost disappear - diversity receivers using twin
antennas and RF stages are designed to defeat this phenomenon.

..... Phil

From: alex on
Il 26/06/2010 16.16, Phil Allison ha scritto:
> "alex"
>>
>> can two parallel walls generate a standing wave on the carrier of a
>> wireless system and affect the reception of the signal, just like in
>> sound?
>>

> ** The reflectivity of a solid wall to RF signals in the VHF /UHF band is
> not nearly so strong as it is for sound waves - so the behaviour is not the
> same.
>
> Certainly, a radio mic's signal can bounce off a wall and arrive at the
> receiver out of phase with the direct signal from the same transmitter
> causing reception to almost disappear - diversity receivers using twin
> antennas and RF stages are designed to defeat this phenomenon.
>

> .... Phil

thanks phil,
but in the situation described above i had shure diversity system that
almost refused to work.

alex
 |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7