From: Phil Allison on

"alex"

> yes, tried with and without antenna distibution system and moving antennas
> back and forth. Almost no change whatever i done. I tried also to move the
> receiver from the desk position to stage area. Still no effect. changing
> brand of system (thus freq range) solved. Outside the church no problem
> even at 70 meters distance. That sounded to me like a phase related
> problem on the carrier,

** Completely absurd thinking.

Phase related problems are always VERY sensitive to the exact position of
mics and receivers - plus diversity antennas are very effective ant
removing the issue.

YOU hade another kind of problem entirely - comes under the title of RFI.

..... Phil

From: alex on
Il 27/06/2010 2.32, Phil Allison ha scritto:
> "alex"
> Phil Allison
>> "alex"

>>> ** The reflectivity of a solid wall to RF signals in the VHF /UHF band is
>>> not nearly so strong as it is for sound waves - so the behaviour is not
>>> the
>>> same.
>>>
>>> Certainly, a radio mic's signal can bounce off a wall and arrive at the
>>> receiver out of phase with the direct signal from the same transmitter
>>> causing reception to almost disappear - diversity receivers using twin
>>> antennas and RF stages are designed to defeat this phenomenon.
>>>

>> thanks phil,
>> but in the situation described above ...
>

> ** Looks to me that you described nothing.
>

> ... Phil

look better Phil. this was the first answer to Ron, third message in thread.

bye

alex
From: Phil Allison on
"alex"

>>> thanks phil,
>>> but in the situation described above ...
>>

>> ** Looks to me that you described nothing.
>>

> look better Phil.

** I have.

You have described nothing in any detail.

The devil is in the detail ( famous saying).

.... Phil

From: geoff on
Phil Allison wrote:
> "alex"
>>
>> can two parallel walls generate a standing wave on the carrier of a
>> wireless system and affect the reception of the signal, just like in
>> sound?
>>

> ** The reflectivity of a solid wall to RF signals in the VHF /UHF
> band is not nearly so strong as it is for sound waves - so the
> behaviour is not the same.
>
> Certainly, a radio mic's signal can bounce off a wall and arrive at
> the receiver out of phase with the direct signal from the same
> transmitter causing reception to almost disappear - diversity
> receivers using twin antennas and RF stages are designed to defeat
> this phenomenon.

Maybe not 'defeat', but certainly 'reduce'. RF is reflected off any metalic
object, including hidden ones such as reinforcing in concrete, booms,
lighting rigs, cables, candlesticks, organ pipes etc.

It's a minefield out there....

geoff

From: alex on
Il 27/06/2010 4.43, Phil Allison ha scritto:
> "alex"

>>> ** Looks to me that you described nothing.
>>>

>> look better Phil.
>

> ** I have.
>
> You have described nothing in any detail.
>
> The devil is in the detail ( famous saying).
>

> ... Phil

Santa Maria del fiore (Florence cathedral)
http://maps.google.com/maps?client=firefox-a&hl=it&ie=UTF8&ll=43.773193,11.256107&spn=0.001718,0.004292&t=k&z=19

Ok, things happened some 6-7 years ago, in winter, just before
christmas, inside the church there are a lot of well known pieces of
art, so RMI from a weird security or control system, was the first thing
i thougt (under the main floor there is an underground museum, with a
lot of electronic protection). So i asked a friend, with much more
knowledge than me in radio transmissions, to discover if actually was
RMI. His frequency scanner tell us that was nothing affecting the band
used for microphones, but we noticed that transmission from a single
bodypack lead to a very weak reading on the scanner in opposite to the
reading from the same bp outside the church.
Moving the scanner around the church the signal stenght varied a little,
never reaching the level measured outside, even very close to the
transmitter.
He told me that, in his opinion, a lot of bouncing with different timing
leaded to an heavy cancellation in phase, wich sounded ok for me due the
comparision with sound waves.
Another brand of system was apparently unaffected by anything and worked
well for the show.

---

Something very similar happened to me in another church in Florence last
year (second job in my life inside a church).
Santa Maria del Carmine
http://maps.google.com/maps?client=firefox-a&hl=it&ie=UTF8&ll=43.773193,11.256107&spn=0.001718,0.004292&t=k&z=19

They call me because the pa system doesn't worked well, they hearded big
noises coming from the speakers, like a pickup scaratched over a record
surface.
Due to "art protection authority" new laws, the system was wireless (you
cannot use cables) for the audio signals and wired for power supply (pwr
outlets where placed all around the church before the law).
3 Transmitters and 6 receivers, from dB technologies, showed the same
behaviour: big drops and weak signal even at small distance.
After asking the old audio company responsible of the system setup, i
discover that they used originally a very powerful radio signal
amplifier for the trasmitter with a directional antenna, but had to
remove it beacuse people in the near buildings was no more able to watch TV!
So they carefully find an antenna position (the regular antenna) to
minimize drops, but apprently after 4 years she has moved so i get the call.
Even in this second case my suspect go to the cancellation of the
carrier due to reflections because the room size (both are very large
churches) and the very complex internal geometry.

For now my "poor man experience" says: don't use wireless system in
churches!

bye
alex

First  |  Prev  |  Next  |  Last