From: alex on
Il 27/06/2010 4.43, Phil Allison ha scritto:
> "alex"

>>> ** Looks to me that you described nothing.
>>>

>> look better Phil.
>

> ** I have.
>
> You have described nothing in any detail.
>
> The devil is in the detail ( famous saying).
>

> ... Phil

Santa Maria del fiore (Florence cathedral)
http://maps.google.com/maps?client=firefox-a&hl=it&ie=UTF8&ll=43.773193,11.256107&spn=0.001718,0.004292&t=k&z=19

Ok, things happened some 6-7 years ago, in winter, just before
christmas, inside the church there are a lot of well known pieces of
art, so RMI from a weird security or control system, was the first thing
i thougt (under the main floor there is an underground museum, with a
lot of electronic protection). So i asked a friend, with much more
knowledge than me in radio transmissions, to discover if actually was
RMI. His frequency scanner tell us that was nothing affecting the band
used for microphones, but we noticed that transmission from a single
bodypack lead to a very weak reading on the scanner in opposite to the
reading from the same bp outside the church.
Moving the scanner around the church the signal stenght varied a little,
never reaching the level measured outside, even very close to the
transmitter.
He told me that, in his opinion, a lot of bouncing with different timing
leaded to an heavy cancellation in phase, wich sounded ok for me due the
comparision with sound waves.
Another brand of system was apparently unaffected by anything and worked
well for the show.

---

Something very similar happened to me in another church in Florence last
year (second job in my life inside a church).
Santa Maria del Carmine
http://maps.google.com/maps?client=firefox-a&hl=it&ie=UTF8&ll=43.773193,11.256107&spn=0.001718,0.004292&t=k&z=19

They call me because the pa system doesn't worked well, they heard big
noises coming from the speakers, like a pickup scratched over a record
surface.
Due to "art protection authority" new laws, the system was wireless (you
cannot use cables) for the audio signals and wired for power supply (pwr
outlets where placed all around the church before the law).
3 Transmitters and 6 receivers, from dB technologies, showed the same
behaviour: big drops and weak signal even at small distance.
After asking the old audio company responsible of the system setup, i
discover that they used originally a very powerful radio signal
amplifier for the trasmitter with a directional antenna, but had to
remove it beacuse people in the near buildings was no more able to watch TV!
So they carefully find an antenna position (the regular antenna) to
minimize drops, but apprently after 4 years she has moved so i get the call.
Even in this second case my suspect go to the cancellation of the
carrier due to reflections because the room size (both are very large
churches) and the very complex internal geometry.

For now my "poor man experience" says: don't use wireless system in
churches!

bye
alex
From: Tim Perry on
For now my "poor man experience" says: don't use wireless system in
> churches!
>
> bye
> alex

Alex, the thousands and thousands of churches that employ wireless daily
would disagree with you.

What the problem actually was cannot be determined by discussion or
theorizing.

Each transmitter and receiver must be tested fully buy competent technicians
that are fully equipped with radiation test fixtures and/or field strength
meters plus accurate frequency and modulation measuring test equipment.

If (and that's a big IF) it is determined that the equipment is in no way
faulty, than you can start investigating strange RF properties like
milti-path.

One problem with tracing local interference problems in a church is it is
usually attempted when the church is almost empty. When it fill with people
who bring in there portable electronic devices, plus security, maintenance ,
and anyone else with transceivers, the RF spectrum tends to get pretty
crowded.

From: Bob Quintal on
"Tim Perry" <timperry(a)donespameroadrunner.com> wrote in

> For now my "poor man experience" says: don't use wireless system
> in
>> churches!
>>
>> bye
>> alex
>
> Alex, the thousands and thousands of churches that employ wireless
> daily would disagree with you.
>
> What the problem actually was cannot be determined by discussion
> or theorizing.
>
> Each transmitter and receiver must be tested fully buy competent
> technicians that are fully equipped with radiation test fixtures
> and/or field strength meters plus accurate frequency and
> modulation measuring test equipment.
>
> If (and that's a big IF) it is determined that the equipment is in
> no way faulty, than you can start investigating strange RF
> properties like milti-path.
>
> One problem with tracing local interference problems in a church
> is it is usually attempted when the church is almost empty. When
> it fill with people who bring in there portable electronic
> devices, plus security, maintenance , and anyone else with
> transceivers, the RF spectrum tends to get pretty crowded.

Alex and Tim,

I've worked designing building and testing antennas for over thirty
years, and alex's description of the churches triggered a thought.

These Florentine churches, unlike most in America, have large domes
sheathed with copper. Stone walls would not trigger reflections in
sufficient strength to cause problems, but a dome, shaped like a
reflector might be a possibility.
From: alex on
Il 27/06/2010 19.34, Tim Perry ha scritto:
> For now my "poor man experience" says: don't use wireless system in
>> churches!
>>
>> bye
>> alex
>
> Alex, the thousands and thousands of churches that employ wireless daily
> would disagree with you.
thanks a lot Tim,
uh, that was a joke, but in churches i know that things may be not so easy.
There are churches and churches. I got this problem into VERY big and
complex one with the largest and tallest dome in the world.
https://secure.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/wiki/Florence_Cathedral

> What the problem actually was cannot be determined by discussion or
> theorizing.

yes, in the fact the original post was asking if the room shape and size
could affect the proper propagation of radio waves at the point to
render systems not usable.

> Each transmitter and receiver must be tested fully buy competent technicians
> that are fully equipped with radiation test fixtures and/or field strength
> meters plus accurate frequency and modulation measuring test equipment.

agree

> If (and that's a big IF) it is determined that the equipment is in no way
> faulty, than you can start investigating strange RF properties like
> milti-path.
agree with that, i just thougt "statistically" that was at least one
system in the bunch to be consider "perfect". I got problems on ALL
shure systems (SX 170-180 MHz at the time in italy). In addiction there
was some other kind (?) that worked well from the beginning. Just the
shures was unusable. In many other location the same systems never gave
me a problem.

> One problem with tracing local interference problems in a church is it is
> usually attempted when the church is almost empty. When it fill with people
> who bring in there portable electronic devices, plus security, maintenance ,
> and anyone else with transceivers, the RF spectrum tends to get pretty
> crowded.

ok, all the test i made was conducted with almost empty church, me and
another two or tree people, with church closed to tourists.

regards
alex

From: Tim Perry on

"Bob Quintal" <rquintal(a)sPAmpatico.ca> wrote in message
> "Tim Perry" <timperry(a)donespameroadrunner.com> wrote in
>
>> For now my "poor man experience" says: don't use wireless system
>> in
>>> churches!
>>>
>>> bye
>>> alex
>>
>> Alex, the thousands and thousands of churches that employ wireless
>> daily would disagree with you.
>>
>> What the problem actually was cannot be determined by discussion
>> or theorizing.
>>
>> Each transmitter and receiver must be tested fully buy competent
>> technicians that are fully equipped with radiation test fixtures
>> and/or field strength meters plus accurate frequency and
>> modulation measuring test equipment.
>>
>> If (and that's a big IF) it is determined that the equipment is in
>> no way faulty, than you can start investigating strange RF
>> properties like milti-path.
>>
>> One problem with tracing local interference problems in a church
>> is it is usually attempted when the church is almost empty. When
>> it fill with people who bring in there portable electronic
>> devices, plus security, maintenance , and anyone else with
>> transceivers, the RF spectrum tends to get pretty crowded.
>>
> Alex and Tim,
>
> I've worked designing building and testing antennas for over thirty
> years, and alex's description of the churches triggered a thought.
>
> These Florentine churches, unlike most in America, have large domes
> sheathed with copper. Stone walls would not trigger reflections in
> sufficient strength to cause problems, but a dome, shaped like a
> reflector might be a possibility.

hummm... now Alex mentioned it is VHF freqs. It's about the 1.7 meter band.
There is no question that RF does bounce. This can easily demonstrated with
a ham radio, a direction antenna, and a water tower.

here is a recap of the described problem:
> I had some 20 shure wireless systems, all very close in frequency and all
> in
perfect working order. All showed the same behavior: in a particular
spot in the cathedral (close to the main entrance) we had a lot of
drops. Unluckily that was the "stage" area

I recently had occasion to contact shure about the ULX product. The
applications engineer told me that operating the transmitters within 15 feet
or (5 meters) may make the receivers overload.

While a large copper dome may make a decent faraday shield, I doubt that as
a resonant cavity that it would be tuned to any frequency that would be of
interest to this situation. as a reflector, if it has a focal point at all
it would most likely not be near the entrance.

If the same system of 20 VHF transmitters works fine elsewhere, I would
guess at local interference.

..

First  |  Prev  |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7