From: Randy Yates on
HardySpicer <gyansorova(a)gmail.com> writes:

> So I suppose it is complex because the imaginary part also has
> frequency-selective properties as well as real.

Not exactly. It is complex because F(w) != F*(-w), i.e., the frequency
response isn't Hermitian symmetric. Note I use "*" here to denote
conjugation.
--
Randy Yates % "She's sweet on Wagner-I think she'd die for Beethoven.
Digital Signal Labs % She love the way Puccini lays down a tune, and
From: Tim Wescott on
Randy Yates wrote:
> HardySpicer <gyansorova(a)gmail.com> writes:
>
>> So I suppose it is complex because the imaginary part also has
>> frequency-selective properties as well as real.
>
> Not exactly. It is complex because F(w) != F*(-w), i.e., the frequency
> response isn't Hermitian symmetric. Note I use "*" here to denote
> conjugation.

That's not a _physical_ interpretation, because no physical system has a
frequency response that isn't Hermitian symmetric.

--
Tim Wescott
www.wescottdesign.com
From: Tim Wescott on
HardySpicer wrote:
> On Mar 29, 1:38 pm, Tim Wescott <t...(a)seemywebsite.now> wrote:
>> HardySpicer wrote:
>>> What is the physical significance of having an impulse response with
>>> complex coefficients ie
>>> {h0,h1,h2...hn} where the h values are complex.
>> That your system, as described, is impossible to implement physically.
>>
>> You've asked a question with an absurd answer, and you're not dim. So
>> what are you _really_ doing?
>>
>> The two biggest reasons I could think that you may see this happen are:
>>
>> (1) you've calculated an impulse response from a frequency response
>> using an FFT and you've either not paid proper attention to phase, or
>> you have the inevitable numerical inaccuracies and you haven't noticed
>> that the imaginary parts are minuscule
>>
>> (2) you're modeling a system that's operating on I/Q data, and you've
>> modeled quadrature as imaginary.
>
> Oh I saw a paper with an example in it that has complex data points,
> actually it is matrices but the same principle holds.
> It was for Quarternary-Quam. So I suppose it is complex because the
> imaginary part also has frequency-selective properties as well as
> real.

Well, you were asking for physical significance. The physical
significance is what I outlined in (2) above: the system being modeled
is doing I/Q demodulation down to baseband, and the quadrature channel
is modeled as imaginary. The spectrum of the _physical_ signal is a
pair of identical, Hermitian-symmetrical spectra reflected around f = 0;
in choosing to treat the quadrature channel as imaginary you're
essentially just doing the math on the frequency-positive half of the
spectrum.

--
Tim Wescott
www.wescottdesign.com
From: Randy Yates on
Tim Wescott <tim(a)seemywebsite.now> writes:

> Randy Yates wrote:
>> HardySpicer <gyansorova(a)gmail.com> writes:
>>
>>> So I suppose it is complex because the imaginary part also has
>>> frequency-selective properties as well as real.
>>
>> Not exactly. It is complex because F(w) != F*(-w), i.e., the frequency
>> response isn't Hermitian symmetric. Note I use "*" here to denote
>> conjugation.
>
> That's not a _physical_ interpretation, because no physical system has
> a frequency response that isn't Hermitian symmetric.

You are correct by strict interpretation. I was trying to answer what I
thought his real question was.

It takes two to communicate.
--
Randy Yates % "Though you ride on the wheels of tomorrow,
Digital Signal Labs % you still wander the fields of your
From: Tim Wescott on
Randy Yates wrote:
> Tim Wescott <tim(a)seemywebsite.now> writes:
>
>> Randy Yates wrote:

>>> Not exactly. It is complex because F(w) != F*(-w), i.e., the frequency
>>> response isn't Hermitian symmetric. Note I use "*" here to denote
>>> conjugation.
>> That's not a _physical_ interpretation, because no physical system has
>> a frequency response that isn't Hermitian symmetric.
>
> You are correct by strict interpretation. I was trying to answer what I
> thought his real question was.
>
> It takes two to communicate.

I shall find my swagger stick, and polish my monocle and my German accent.

Tee hee! Schnort!

Hopefully between the two of us we've managed to satisfy Hardy.

--
Tim Wescott
www.wescottdesign.com