From: Mikolaj on
on 07-04-2010 o 13:03:04 Mikolaj <sterowanie_komputerowe(a)poczta.onet.pl>
wrote:

> It seems that sometimes, luckily
> when you use complex (compressed, packed, combined, compact)
> way of describing few dependent physical things

the imaginary part of that complex representation (additional dimension
used for compression)

--
Mikolaj
From: Michael Plante on
glen wrote:
>Mikolaj <sterowanie_komputerowe(a)poczta.onet.pl> wrote:
>(snip)
>
>> I can just put 'j' or 'i' befor any physical value
>> and than interpret it at will.
>> I can fit j to anything I want.
>
>> But when we have description of something
>> than partial imaginary result numbers
>> can have no physical interpretation.
>
>I believe that in some cases complex physical quantities
>that are in exponents have a physical interpretation.
>As examples, the dielectric constant and its square root,
>the index of refraction. Other than in exponents,
>the use of complex numbers for physical quantities,
>such as describing phase shifts, seems more of a
>convenience, and not something with a physical
>interpretation.

Complex eigenvalues often have physical interpretation. A non-hermitian
hamiltonian is sometimes used when particles leave the group of states
being considered (for example, atoms that become ionized, and assume that
you no longer care about those as part of your ensemble, so you don't
consider those states). It is a bit of a hack, but the point is that the
complex eigenvalues in that case then have the interpretation of loss over
time (where, for other situations, "loss" might be of either sign).

From: glen herrmannsfeldt on
Michael Plante <michael.plante(a)n_o_s_p_a_m.gmail.com> wrote:
(snip, I wrote)

>>I believe that in some cases complex physical quantities
>>that are in exponents have a physical interpretation.
(snip)

> Complex eigenvalues often have physical interpretation. A non-hermitian
> hamiltonian is sometimes used when particles leave the group of states
> being considered (for example, atoms that become ionized, and assume that
> you no longer care about those as part of your ensemble, so you don't
> consider those states). It is a bit of a hack, but the point is that the
> complex eigenvalues in that case then have the interpretation of loss over
> time (where, for other situations, "loss" might be of either sign).

Are these solutions of differential equations such that the
complex value is in an exp()? If so, then the imaginary terms
(multiplied by i) are the decay (or absorption) term.

-- glen
From: Michael Plante on
>Michael Plante <michael.plante(a)n_o_s_p_a_m.gmail.com> wrote:
>(snip, I wrote)
>
>>>I believe that in some cases complex physical quantities
>>>that are in exponents have a physical interpretation.
>(snip)
>
>> Complex eigenvalues often have physical interpretation. A
non-hermitian
>> hamiltonian is sometimes used when particles leave the group of states
>> being considered (for example, atoms that become ionized, and assume
that
>> you no longer care about those as part of your ensemble, so you don't
>> consider those states). It is a bit of a hack, but the point is that
the
>> complex eigenvalues in that case then have the interpretation of loss
over
>> time (where, for other situations, "loss" might be of either sign).
>
>Are these solutions of differential equations such that the
>complex value is in an exp()? If so, then the imaginary terms
>(multiplied by i) are the decay (or absorption) term.

It's similar to your example. One could find a basis where the time
evolution operator U=exp(-i.H.t/hb) is diagonal. So it could be seen that
way.
From: Michael Plante on
Michael Plante wrote:
>glen wrote:
>>Michael Plante <michael.plante(a)n_o_s_p_a_m.gmail.com> wrote:
>>(snip, I wrote)

>>(snip)
>>
>>> Complex eigenvalues often have physical interpretation. A
>non-hermitian
>>> hamiltonian is sometimes used when particles leave the group of states
>>> being considered (for example, atoms that become ionized, and assume
>that
>>> you no longer care about those as part of your ensemble, so you don't
>>> consider those states). It is a bit of a hack, but the point is that
>the
>>> complex eigenvalues in that case then have the interpretation of loss
>over
>>> time (where, for other situations, "loss" might be of either sign).
>>
>>Are these solutions of differential equations such that the
>>complex value is in an exp()? If so, then the imaginary terms
>>(multiplied by i) are the decay (or absorption) term.
>
>It's similar to your example. One could find a basis where the time
>evolution operator U=exp(-i.H.t/hb) is diagonal. So it could be seen
that
>way.

While what I wrote was inspired by your post, my point was not so much
about the ability to reduce it to that form, which depends on being able to
find a clean solution, since this sort of perturbation is probably less
necessary in simple cases. Rather, the value is in being able to directly
interpret perturbations to the Hamiltonian without trying to find a
solution.

An interesting application is when a suitable "gain" mechanism is present
(not explicitly included) to balance this loss, but the the gain introduces
unpolarized atoms, whereas the "loss" removes from consideration whatever's
available. Then the interpretation of this perturbation is depolarization
of the ensemble over time.

Michael