From: Rune Allnor on
On 30 Mar, 18:24, Tim Wescott <t...(a)seemywebsite.now> wrote:
> Randy Yates wrote:
> > HardySpicer <gyansor...(a)gmail.com> writes:
>
> >> So I suppose it is complex because the imaginary part also has
> >> frequency-selective properties as well as real.
>
> > Not exactly. It is complex because F(w) != F*(-w), i.e., the frequency
> > response isn't Hermitian symmetric. Note I use "*" here to denote
> > conjugation.
>
> That's not a _physical_ interpretation, because no physical system has a
> frequency response that isn't Hermitian symmetric.

Wrong.

1) 2D signals from antenna arrays are physical.
2) After DFT along the time axis the physical signal exist
in (w,x) domain
3) Each vector along the x direction consits of complex-valued
samples
4) Spatial narrow-band filters, e.g. for DoA or velocity filtering,
needs to be complex-valued

Physical as anything. Complex as it comes. In any sense of the word.

Rune
From: Peter O. Brackett on
Tim:

[snip]
> That's not a _physical_ interpretation, because no physical system has a
> frequency response that isn't Hermitian symmetric.
>
> --
> Tim Wescott
[snip]

That is a common misconception but untrue.

'Physical' systems with non Hermitian symmetry are not only possible, indeed
they have practical uses.

Complex physical systems are rarely addressed in common textbooks and so
remain somewhat obscure. Just because they are uncommon does not mean they
don't exist!

So called complex systems have been synthesized, designed, prototyped and
even manufactured.

Addmittedly they are uncommon, especially in natural form, but man can make
them easily. This is more difficult to do (exactly) in analogue form than
in digital form, but even complex analogue systems have been built.

There have been numerous [OK... several] professional technical papers
written about such systems over the years, beginning way back 40-50 years
ago.

Search for subjects such as "complex analogue filters", etc... will turn up
some references. I have worked on and wrtten about complex analogue filters
myself.

-- Pete
Indialantic By-the-Sea, FL

From: Mikolaj on
On 31-03-2010 o 06:53:53 Rune Allnor <allnor(a)tele.ntnu.no> wrote:

> Wrong.
>
> 1) 2D signals from antenna arrays are physical.
> 2) After DFT along the time axis the physical signal exist
> in (w,x) domain
> 3) Each vector along the x direction consits of complex-valued
> samples
> 4) Spatial narrow-band filters, e.g. for DoA or velocity filtering,
> needs to be complex-valued
>
> Physical as anything. Complex as it comes. In any sense of the word.
>
> Rune

I can just put 'j' or 'i' befor any physical value
and than interpret it at will.
I can fit j to anything I want.

But when we have description of something
than partial imaginary result numbers
can have no physical interpretation.

Can you interpret imaginary impulse response?
I can travel back in time on a paper.

--
Mikolaj
From: glen herrmannsfeldt on
Mikolaj <sterowanie_komputerowe(a)poczta.onet.pl> wrote:
(snip)

> I can just put 'j' or 'i' befor any physical value
> and than interpret it at will.
> I can fit j to anything I want.

> But when we have description of something
> than partial imaginary result numbers
> can have no physical interpretation.

I believe that in some cases complex physical quantities
that are in exponents have a physical interpretation.
As examples, the dielectric constant and its square root,
the index of refraction. Other than in exponents,
the use of complex numbers for physical quantities,
such as describing phase shifts, seems more of a
convenience, and not something with a physical
interpretation.

> Can you interpret imaginary impulse response?
> I can travel back in time on a paper.

-- glen

From: Mikolaj on
on 07-04-2010 o 13:53:36 glen herrmannsfeldt <gah(a)ugcs.caltech.edu> wrote:

(...)
> I believe that in some cases complex physical quantities
> that are in exponents have a physical interpretation.
> As examples, the dielectric constant and its square root,
> the index of refraction. Other than in exponents,
> the use of complex numbers for physical quantities,
> such as describing phase shifts, seems more of a
> convenience, and not something with a physical
> interpretation.
(...)

It seems that sometimes, luckily
when you use complex (compressed, packed, combined, compact)
way of describing few dependent physical things
their imaginary part (additional dimension used for compression)
can be human understandable
and could have interpretation.

But you can always decompress complex matrix
to it's scalar version equations.

--
Mikolaj