From: Aron (bacsdesign.com) on
First "Thank You All" for helping me on this one - what a pain it is!

I will answer the questions/comments in order - I hope this makes for some
thought provoking reading ;-)

I let SW install where it chose to, I always let the program choose what and
where it like to put things...
I did however clean the 2006 data out because I did not want this to happen
again - I had HS happen HS (Huge Screws)on the switch from 2005 to 2006, and
someone told me it was because the "older" 2005 database was not cleared
before 2006 was installed - I can now see that was not the problem and may
have made it worse. I did however not erase the 2006 "C:\Program
Files\Common Files\Solidworks Data" files, I simply moved them in case I had
a problem... so maybe I could do something with the old data, but of course
I do not want to corrupt the new data either.

So the simple answer is it is the same location as the original files were,
I looked - same path - and I made no changes to the toolbox - it is a stock
toolbox.

Now for my commentary: (Are you listening SolidWorks? I hope so... it's not
that bad...)

As a user I should not have to go through this AT ALL during an "Upgrade". I
cannot charge my clients money for a database error that your program causes
me. I pay $2K a year maintenance and still cannot talk directly with the
actual programmers (or high level tech support) if I have a problem. While
a VAR may be good at some things (some are sharper than others - normal,
like any business personnel) I should not have to go through an extra layer
of horsesh^t (bureaucracy) just to get a problem with SolidWorks Software or
in this case Software Installation.

This whole VAR thing is really weird to me - should I set up a VAR structure
for my company - if a customer has a problem with a design they deal with my
VAR. No, they should come directly to me, and I will help resolve the
issue. I see a VAR as a shield to help protect you from the day to day
rigors of company struggle. Maybe you need to be a little closer to
reality? Not saying this in a bad way - but get in touch at a more personal
level with your customers - we are the ones paying your salaries in all
fairness, and we enjoy using the tools you have provided to use. It makes
us look good when your software helps us create a nice product or solves a
problem for the customer - we see SolidWorks share in that excitement
often - But Where are You, when we need high level help on equally important
issues? Again, not trying to be the bad guy here, but life is sharing the
good and bad together - that VAR stuff really insulates you from the
sharpness of reality sometimes.

Take a lead from Microsoft who I pay only for the cost of the software -
once, and pay no $2K a year maintenance fee to. I can deal with the $2K a
year for SoilidWorks Updates (even that seems a little high), but I find it
tough to have no help if a new install corrupts old files and causes lost
productivity - with no fault of mine! SolidWorks seems to tout about often
is how productive the software is - I agree. But when files stop working
when I did nothing wrong, that is a big, big problem for all of us as
SolidWorks Software users!!!.

Please note that during the installation of a Microsoft Product (Operating
System, Office Software, Games, etc.) tech support is free -FREE. And
better yet I talk directly with someone at the company - and usually not
overseas either (your experience may differ I guess) but the point is that
these are very serious issues here with A LOT OF MONEY floating around (at
least for me as a small business) and yet I, as a user, gets left holding
the short end of the stick while installing a new version of the SolidWorks
software. I hate to say this but if your software is really worth it, back
it up by live SolidWorks Corporation Installation Help - if it is properly
written software with few bugs, then your help lines will be nearly silent,
and your techs will be able to get work done. If not, well - then you know
where the problem is...

So:

Dear SolidWorks Corp.
Please add a toll free number that users may call if they have installation
problems between (if nothing less than) version changes, 2005 to 2006 to
2007, etc. You will be loved by your user base and the loyal following you
seem to seek in all of the speeches and seminars I have attended over the
years, will become an absolute reality, and you will reap the monetary
rewards you seek, as well as the personal satisfaction of being there for
your customer.

SolidWorks Software is not getting any simpler to develop and install issues
will arise - we all are paying for the price of technology whether we like
it or not. Think of how many things go slightly wrong in just one day when
a simple technology lets us down - do the experiment one day or so will do,
and keep tabs, it will astound you. We as a nation are paying a price for
our technology "lust". Tech support and the ability to resolve the problem
quickly are the answer - going through a VAR for this type of info and help
is not.

Anyway,

I also would like to say that I agree with getting a new hard drive when
changing over a new version of SolidWorks, since the workstation is
typically used only for that purpose - mine unfortunately multi-tasks a
little - so it is a little more work to do, i.e. more software to reinstall,
update, etc. you know the drill. I typically keep the old hard drive in an
external case, and after pulling down the old info/data/files the drive
stays in the external case for a few years until I am sure it is un-needed,
then it gets backed-up (again) and the becomes a generic storage device for
backing up files to. I haven't actually done the last part yet - I just
have about 3 external drives from past iterations of my workstation, but in
theory I could just swap out the drives and it should boot. However it
would get Flooded with update requests and be useless for a few hours while
that stuff happened (i.e. Microsoft Update)

Thanks again for your help on this. I did load the first problem assembly,
and dropped in a "flush PEM Nut" of the proper size and it did work - but
what a pain to do for all of the assemblies - wow. I certainly will be
asking my VAR to do this at opening time early on Monday morning - get ready
guys!

Aron

From: Zander on
Hi Aron,

Your old toolbox folder that you moved contains a *.mdb file which is
your toolbox database. It is what contains all of the configurations.
The 'big screw' problem is simply caused by loading an assembly with a
toolbox part that is looking for a config which doesn't exist in your
database. Note, assemblies created in 2007 will open toolbox parts
properly no matter if the config ref exists or not - but this is no
help for 2006 assemlies.

I would hesitate to recommend a procedure to follow to restore your mdb
file. Anything I suggest could turn into a disaster - maybe someone
else here knows if you can simply shutdown solidworks and over-write
the new mdb file with your old one.

(back in sw2005 I use to work in multiple locations and I used to
'sync' my mdb file from one location to the other without difficulty -
but this was within the same version - I suspect it would 'bad' to try
this now.)

Zander

From: Aron (bacsdesign.com) on
Well it only gets better (worse actually)

Any of the parts or assemblies made with weldments also have issues:
"The following component configuration could not be found"

So now I can't work on that clients work either. More deadlines more not
working, costing $$$ here.

I am suspecting any and all parts & assemblies I created using the toolbox!

This is absolutely ridiculous...

Aron
SW 2007, SP2.2 <-- but it is not working...

From: Bo on
Aron, I believe there are other posts in the last month concerning
Configurations in 2007 which other users had problems with, though I'm
not using 2007, so I passed over what the details were and whether
there was a solution.

If possible, I think I would revert to 2006, but that is just me.

Bo

From: Aron (bacsdesign.com) on
I got it working... Yes!!

This is what I did in my case, but others may have this problem as well:

I replaced the new (2007) toolbox data (C:\Program Files\Common
Files\Solidworks Data) with the old (2006) toolbox data... of course SW 2007
will not load it because it senses the data base is not correct - it will
give a warning.

Then I reinstalled SW 2007 (I have premium and chose that again)... SW 2007
saw that it needed to merge the new and old data base for toolbox (gave a
progress bar) and then skipped over COSMOS and the others, because they were
not affected and or in need of reinstallation.

Now I had SW2007 back, but at SP00... I tried a few drawings, parts,
assemblies and all of the toolbox & weldments seem to be working fine,
however I wanted to update to SP2.2... so more fun.

It would not update, no matter what I tried.
It wanted disk #4 CD, of course I was using the DVD, and it was looking for
the tb3.cab file in the i386 subdirectory... Which would have been on disk
#1 anyway.
I read of a similar problem (not exactly the same - but at 3AM I was
desperate!) on the SW Website (see:
https://customercenter.solidworks.com/eservice_enu/start.swe?SWECmd=Login&SWEPL=1&SWETS=1168892495890
<-- you will need to login)
I copied 4 part files into the toolbox per the above "solution" and after a
few restarts it updated!!!

The new install was born Jan 15, 2007 at approx 12:37PM EST, its name is
SW2007, SP02.2 - wow my a$$ hurts!

All is well and thanks to all who helped, really appreciate it!

Tip: By the way if you ever get a directory that you know is there but does
not show up, go to your desktop (lower left - Show Desktop) and hit the "F5"
key, and this will "refresh" not only the Screen but the system directory
listing for the Operating system, and thus give you a better if not a 100%
chance of seeing those drives that sometimes hide. I have used this at a
few of the machine shops I frequent when my (or others) USB Drives fail to
show up - just wanted to share.

Best of luck in the New Year,

Aron

First  |  Prev  |  Next  |  Last