From: Antares 531 on
On Sun, 28 Feb 2010 16:57:56 -0600, "Unknown" <unknown(a)unknown.kom>
wrote:

>Try the process of elimination if you don't know the beep codes. I.E. Remove
>a memory module and try to boot.
>Then remove another item and try to boot.

I tried that earlier today but didn't get any positive results. I
removed the #2 memory stick and tried booting...same long beep.

Next I removed both memory sticks and tried to boot but still got the
beep.

Then I removed the #1 memory stick and replaced it with what had
previously been the #2 memory stick and again it beeped at me.

Then I replaced both memory sticks in reverse position from their
original positions. This also got the beep sound.

I disconnected all the hard drives, CD and floppy then booted but
still got the beep.

I just noticed that the keyboard and mouse are not showing any life.
Earlier, the keyboard lights flashed when I booted but now they don't.

The hard drives, CD and floppy drive all seem to be working to the
point that I can hear the hard drives humming and if I put a CD in the
drive the activity light will blink and it seems to be trying to read
the CD. Same for the floppy drive.

I'm thinking that since I got the new computer up and running I've
left this old computer turned off for extended times and this may have
depleted what was left of the BIOS CMOS battery. If this battery went
completely dead the BIOS may not be working at all. I'll buy a new
battery tomorrow and see if that makes any difference. Start with the
little things and work my way up, I guess.

Gordon
From: Hot-text on
BEEP about one second long during the boot process
Pull all the RAM stick out Restart Computer with out RAM stick if the long
BEEP go away it a Bad RAM stick!

From: glee on
"Antares 531" <gordonlrDELETE(a)swbell.net> wrote in message

> I've gone through the process of removing and re-installing all the
> add-in cards and interconnection cables. This didn't produce any
> noticeable changes other than the CPU fan now runs in short bursts of
> about 2 or 3 seconds whereas it was just jiggling like it was starting
> to run but never actually rotated the fan.
>
> To answer another question...I do have an nVidia e-GeForce 7600 GS
> graphics card installed. This is a 512 MB PCI-E video card. I'm not
> using the motherboard's graphics output.
>
> I've not yet tested the power supply (PC Power & Cooling Silencer 470
> ATX 12V, Ver 2.2), but it seems to be working okay in that all the
> drive activity lights blink on and I can hear the drives spin up and
> the read/write arms move.
>
> I'm wondering if maybe the BIOS memory chip or battery has gone bad. I
> built this computer in October, 2007. It shouldn't be near the point
> of battery failure, I wouldn't think. Also, even if the BIOS battery
> is dead, wouldn't the boot CD still work? Should I buy a fresh battery
> and do a change-out?
>
> Gordon

What happens if you connect your monitor to the onboard video outlet
instead of the video card?

If the CMOS battery was dead, you would still get video, directing you
to BIOS setup to reset everything.

The fact that your drives spin doesn't necessarily mean your PSU is OK.
--
Glen Ventura, MS MVP Oct. 2002 - Sept. 2009
A+

From: Antares 531 on
On Sun, 28 Feb 2010 18:58:47 -0600, "Brian A."
<gonefish'n(a)afarawaylake> wrote:

>"Antares 531" <gordonlrDELETE(a)swbell.net> wrote in message

(snip)

>> I'm thinking that since I got the new computer up and running I've
>> left this old computer turned off for extended times and this may have
>> depleted what was left of the BIOS CMOS battery. If this battery went
>> completely dead the BIOS may not be working at all. I'll buy a new
>> battery tomorrow and see if that makes any difference. Start with the
>> little things and work my way up, I guess.
>>
>> Gordon
>
>If the CMOS battery is failing you should get an error during boot prompting you
>to enter setup or continue, doubtful it's the CMOS battery although stranger
>things do happen.
>
>A simple way to check if the PS is the cause without purchasing another, simply
>place your two PCs side by side, disconnect all of the power connectors from the
>new machine and connect the ones needed in the old. If the issue isn't resolved
>you can rule out the PS as the cause.

I see what you mean, Brian, but I'm a bit reticent to mess with the
new computer and risk causing some serious problems with it.

How long should the CMOS battery last. This one was installed in the
motherboard when I bought it in November 2007. It may have been
installed quite a while before I bought the motherboard, if this item
laid on the shelf somewhere.

I'm thinking it would be prudent to start with the small things like
the CMOS battery and if that doesn't produce any improvement, move on
to something else.

Gordon
From: Antares 531 on
On Sun, 28 Feb 2010 21:51:54 -0500, "glee" <glee29(a)spamindspring.com>
wrote:

>"Antares 531" <gordonlrDELETE(a)swbell.net> wrote in message
>>>
>> I've gone through the process of removing and re-installing all the
>> add-in cards and interconnection cables. This didn't produce any
>> noticeable changes other than the CPU fan now runs in short bursts of
>> about 2 or 3 seconds whereas it was just jiggling like it was starting
>> to run but never actually rotated the fan.
>>
>> To answer another question...I do have an nVidia e-GeForce 7600 GS
>> graphics card installed. This is a 512 MB PCI-E video card. I'm not
>> using the motherboard's graphics output.
>>
>> I've not yet tested the power supply (PC Power & Cooling Silencer 470
>> ATX 12V, Ver 2.2), but it seems to be working okay in that all the
>> drive activity lights blink on and I can hear the drives spin up and
>> the read/write arms move.
>>
>> I'm wondering if maybe the BIOS memory chip or battery has gone bad. I
>> built this computer in October, 2007. It shouldn't be near the point
>> of battery failure, I wouldn't think. Also, even if the BIOS battery
>> is dead, wouldn't the boot CD still work? Should I buy a fresh battery
>> and do a change-out?
>>
>> Gordon
>
>What happens if you connect your monitor to the onboard video outlet
>instead of the video card?
>
>If the CMOS battery was dead, you would still get video, directing you
>to BIOS setup to reset everything.
>
>The fact that your drives spin doesn't necessarily mean your PSU is OK.

I haven't tried the on-board video outlet but it does sound like
something worth checking out. If I can get my head on straight later
this morning I'll do this. I'm down with a severe cold and not feeling
up to much in the way of stress.

Gordon
First  |  Prev  |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5