From: UkiwiS on
I'm doing some exploratory work and was hoping someone could point me in the
right direction.

I have a client/server product that is sold to a number of customers. The
server runs Windows 2003 Std and is in it's own workgroup. There are 2
accounts configured on the server, one is a local admin and the other is a
standard user account. The client computers run windows XP and are in the
same workgroup and have the same local user accounts. The computers are
managed, patched, updated etc by me. The clients connect to a sybase
sqlanywhere DB hosted on the server and currently the passwords for the 2
accounts do not change.

My customers would like a little more control of mycomputers on their
network and I'm attempting to come up with a strategy to allow this.

Does anyone know of a whitepaper or document that they can refer me to that
covers this or a similar scenario?

TIA

From: Meinolf Weber [MVP-DS] on
Hello UkiwiS,

In a workgroup environment you can't manage control centralized. So either
you need a domain where group policies can be used or maybe you have to make
the users local admin. But this depends on the needs, so what kind of control
are you talking about?

Best regards

Meinolf Weber
no rights.

From: UkiwiS on
Hi Meinolf

Thanks for the your reply.

At this stage I think I'm talking about allowing control of the local
administrator account and password. Plus control of how the OS is configured
such eg. how microsoft patches and antivirus updates are deployed and their
timing.

More or less might come from this as I discover issues or constraints.

Thanks