From: JohnG on
Thanks Tom - I prefer not to stray into VBA/macros as less experienced users
will need to maintain the spreadsheet model when I move on. If there is no
simple solution then I will give this a miss
--
JohnG

From: Max on
well, I'd suggest that you just protect all the formula cells then, do not
allow any overwriting. You could always ask users who "dispute" the formula
returns to indicate their own values in an adjacent col in their submissions
to you, for example.
--
Max
Singapore
From: JohnG on
Thanks again Max. There are valid reasons for contributors to overwrite
these formulae where they have better information than the default result
from the lookup formula. My wish is to just have one extra prompt that
reminds them they need to be very sure of what they are doing when they
overwrite the formula
--
JohnG

From: Max on
Its your processing/control requirements of course. But I'd still think that
its better to "control" it properly via formulas protection rather than half
measures where you face the difficulties of determining which formula cells
have been overwritten*, and possibly the onerous task of re-instating
formulas into all those overwritten cells for the next reporting round to
users. Just some thoughts.
*this was your original query
--
Max
Singapore

From: Teethless mama on
Assuming your formula in A2:A10

Create a define name range call HasFormula, in the Refers to:
=GET.CELL(48,$A2)

Select A2:A10
Conditional Formatting: =NOT(HasFormula)
format any color you like