From: Rick Rothstein on
Just out of curiosity, why not create the named range HasNoFormula and then
use...

=NOT(GET.CELL(48,$A2))

in the Refers to field instead? That way, the OP could use a more
straightforward looking =HasNoFormula in the conditional formatting dialog.

--
Rick (MVP - Excel)

From: Steve Dunn on
That's a different request, and might be better handled by Data Validation
than Conditional Formatting.
If you can't define what may be put in the cell, just leave Any Value
selected in Data Validation, and use an Input Message as your warning when
they select the cell.

HTH
Steve D.

From: Chechu on
On May 18, 10:24 pm, JohnG <Jo...(a)discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
> A number of people can access and update a spreadsheet that I designed for
> them.  The sheet contains a column with lookup formulas. I need to be able to
> quickly scan down the column and see cells where the formulas have been
> overwritten with values/text. Is there a way to set this up with conditional
> formatting.
> My first thought was to use the TYPE function but it does not appear to be
> able to identify when the contents of a cell is derived from a formula as
> opposed to a simple text string or number.
> --
> JohnG

Hi John, I had the same situation last week: A template with a default
formula, but due to business reasons the user can overwrite it.
Initially I tried to use conditional format, so if cell has not
formula = other color. However, I found that many users overwrite the
formula with just another formula! So be careful with this approach…
What I did to solve it is I added the conditional format as Formula IS
NOT EQUAL TO, then put there the original formula, and turned blue if
not the result of my formula.
Regards,
From: Max on
Savvy users may also use a simple link formula to replace your existing
formula (that makes it indistinguishable from overwriting formulas with a
constant), careless users may also damage formulas in cells they are not
supposed to touch, the list goes on ....