From: JohnG on
A number of people can access and update a spreadsheet that I designed for
them. The sheet contains a column with lookup formulas. I need to be able to
quickly scan down the column and see cells where the formulas have been
overwritten with values/text. Is there a way to set this up with conditional
formatting.
My first thought was to use the TYPE function but it does not appear to be
able to identify when the contents of a cell is derived from a formula as
opposed to a simple text string or number.
--
JohnG
From: T. Valko on
See this:

http://groups.google.com/group/microsoft.public.excel.misc/browse_thread/thread/6bf323d2cf859ecd?tvc=2

--
Biff
Microsoft Excel MVP

From: Max on
Perhaps a simple, fast alternative ... Select the col/range, then press F5 >
Special > check Constants > OK. This selects all the non-formula cells within
the col/range in a flash, then just click to format at one go with the
desired fill color. Any worth? hit the YES below
--
Max
Singapore
From: Tom Hutchins on
Here is one way. Add this little user-defined function to your workbook:

Public Function HasRx(MyCell As Range) As Variant
HasRx = MyCell.HasFormula
End Function

Select all of column A. Then add conditional formatting based on the
following formula:
=AND(LEN(A1)>0,HasRx(A1)=FALSE)

Put the function code in a general VBA module in your workbook. If you are
new to user-defined functions (macros), this link to Jon Peltier's site may
be helpful:
http://peltiertech.com/WordPress/2008/03/09/how-to-use-someone-elses-macro/

Hope this helps,

Hutch

From: JohnG on
Thanks Max - I am looking for an automatic solution as I also want the less
experienced contributors to the spreadsheet to realise that they have
overwritten the default formula. I also prefer not to use VBA or macros in
the solution as someone less experienced will need to maintain the
spreadsheet when I move on
--
JohnG