From: Rick on

I have 11.2 installed on an HP Media Center m7690n. It has a Conexant
Falcon II TV Card. I cannot get TV working on it.

Xawtv shows only a black screen. -noxv doesn't work.

VLC sometimes shows a still picture. The buffer rapid moves from 0<->1.

Yast shows the ivtv software loaded. It shows cx23416 mpeg encoder.

Can anyone help me get this running?

Or, does anyone have a suggestion for a USB TV tuner?

--
Rick
From: Ansgar Strickerschmidt on
Also schrieb Rick:

> I have 11.2 installed on an HP Media Center m7690n. It has a Conexant
> Falcon II TV Card. I cannot get TV working on it.

What kind of TV is that - Analogue (terrestric/cable)? DVB-T? DVB-S? DVB-C?
If digital (DVB-x): have you tried Kaffeine already?
What does "modprobe" and "lspci" give you?
Don't know for sure, but possibly your card needs a firmware (if so, to be
placed under /lib/firmware and then automatically loaded along with the
driver). You will see respective messages in "dmesg" output and by looking
into /var/log/messages , if so.

> Xawtv shows only a black screen. -noxv doesn't work.
> VLC sometimes shows a still picture. The buffer rapid moves from 0<->1.
> Yast shows the ivtv software loaded. It shows cx23416 mpeg encoder.

No idea about these.
Do you have an MPEG decoder software (such as libffmpeg etc.) installed?

> Can anyone help me get this running?

Possibly...

> Or, does anyone have a suggestion for a USB TV tuner?

What kind /which requirements? Which country?

Ansgar

--
*** Musik! ***
From: J G Miller on
On Thursday, May 27th, 2010 at 21:30:18h -0500, Rick complained:

> I have 11.2 installed on an HP Media Center m7690n. It has a Conexant
> Falcon II TV Card. I cannot get TV working on it.

Well according to

<http://www.desktoplinux.com/articles/AT9325931427.html>

QUOTE

I was also pleased to find that MEPIS, as well as Vista,
could work with the TV tuner and video capture chipset --
the Conexant Falcon II NTSC. Between it, and the GeForce
6200SE graphics card, it boasts S-Video and composite
inputs and outputs, coaxial cable TV, and FM antenna ports.

UNQUOTE

Also were you unable to do a web search which reveals a solution
for getting this card to work in the Ubuntu Forums at

<http://ubuntuforums.ORG/showthread.php?t=859090&page=2>

And are you still in range of some TV station broadcasting in analog
NTSC, or an ancient analog cable TV system?
From: Rick on
On Fri, 28 May 2010 20:32:25 +0000, J G Miller wrote:

> On Thursday, May 27th, 2010 at 21:30:18h -0500, Rick complained:
>
>> I have 11.2 installed on an HP Media Center m7690n. It has a Conexant
>> Falcon II TV Card. I cannot get TV working on it.
>
> Well according to
>
> <http://www.desktoplinux.com/articles/AT9325931427.html>
>
> QUOTE
>
> I was also pleased to find that MEPIS, as well as Vista, could work
> with the TV tuner and video capture chipset -- the Conexant Falcon II
> NTSC. Between it, and the GeForce 6200SE graphics card, it boasts
> S-Video and composite inputs and outputs, coaxial cable TV, and FM
> antenna ports.
>
> UNQUOTE

Are you suggestion I switch to Mepis?

> Also were you unable to do a web search which reveals a solution for
> getting this card to work in the Ubuntu Forums at
>
> <http://ubuntuforums.ORG/showthread.php?t=859090&page=2>

Are you suggesting I switch to Ubuntu?

And yes, I read that thread.

> And are you still in range of some TV station broadcasting in analog
> NTSC, or an ancient analog cable TV system?

Comcast is not an ancient cable system.

--
Rick