From: Dave F. on

> I use Startup Control Panel myself:
>
> http://www.mlin.net/StartupCPL.shtml

IMO Sysinternals Autoruns is much better:

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb963902.aspx

Cheers
Dave F.
From: Bob on
WinPatrol (Free Edition)
http://www.winpatrol.com/download.html

WinPatrol will prevent programs from enabling at startup without your
permission.

From: VanguardLH on
Bob wrote:

> WinPatrol (Free Edition)
> http://www.winpatrol.com/download.html
>
> WinPatrol will prevent programs from enabling at startup without your
> permission.
>
> "Adela" <nuevadela2(a)rcn.com> wrote in message
>> [MS WinXP Home 2002 - SP3; OE 6; IE 8; MS Office Pro; Avast Antivir Free;
>> Dell Dimension XPS T448MHz Pentium III; 640 MB RAM; high speed cable;
>> Windows Media Player; Adobe Reader 8; Adobe Flash Player 10 Activex..]
>>
>> Hello, could someone tell me why the following and if there's a way around
>> it please?:
>>
>> When I go to Startup to uncheck some programs to speed up the computer, it
>> always appears a popup window saying that I changed the Configuration
>> Utility to "Selective" or "Diagnostic" and that I should change it back to
>> "Standard"... This defeats the purpose for which so many techis recommend
>> to uncheck some of these programs. If there's a way to go around it,
>> could someone help?
>>
>> Thanks so much for a suggestion. Adela

To be accurate, the free version of WinPatrol does not immediately check
for changes to the startup items. It can only poll for changes (with 1
minute interval being the shortest poll interval). That means it can
never tell you what process made the change because it detects the
change long after it was made. Rather than catching the change
immediately and pending it awaiting your approval, it checks at
intervals if any changes were made in the areas that it monitors. It
then alerts you to the old change and offers to change it for you.

This method won't always work. It is possible, for example, for malware
to define itself as a service with restricted permissions on its
registry keys that won't allow a normal delete of the registry item.
You have to use the registry editor to change privileges on the key to
all Everyone to have full rights and then you can delete the key (but
sometimes this doesn't work as the service was defined as a System
service and even an admin can't delete it).

Both WinPatrol and Microsoft's old WinDefender work the same way. They
don't pend a change to then let you allow or block it. They tell you
sometime AFTER the change has been made and *perhaps* they may delete
those changes. However, it is handy to KNOW that a change has been made
so you can decide on what action to take. Alas, like many HIPS
programs, many if not most users of them don't understand the prompts so
they don't know how to act on them. The result is they end up allowing
all the changes so installing the HIPS program was worthless.

WinPatrol is less invasive than other security products but then the
free version doesn't include an on-access scanner. It polls for
changes. I don't remember what all are the default timer values for
each type of check it peforms but several are several minutes long. By
the time you get its prompt, you might not remember what you were doing
many minutes before. I'd suggest lowering all the timers to the
1-minute interval which is the shortest available in the free version.
WinPatrol has value but it's like telling you that your tire blew out
rather than warning you beforehand that it is underinflated.
From: Adela on
Thank you, and I did, but it remains that what's the purpose of this
activity if I must revert it?

From: Adela on
Thank for this link Martin, I'll try it. Adela

"Martin" <warwound(a)gmail.com> wrote in message
On 26 July, 05:09, "Adela" <nuevade...(a)rcn.com> wrote:
> [MS WinXP Home 2002 - SP3; OE 6; IE 8; MS Office Pro; Avast Antivir Free;
> Dell Dimension XPS T448MHz Pentium III; 640 MB RAM; high speed cable;
> Windows Media Player; Adobe Reader 8; Adobe Flash Player 10 Activex..]
>
> Hello, could someone tell me why the following and if there's a way around
> it please?:
>
> When I go to Startup to uncheck some programs to speed up the computer, it
> always appears a popup window saying that I changed the Configuration
> Utility to "Selective" or "Diagnostic" and that I should change it back to
> "Standard"... This defeats the purpose for which so many techis recommend
> uncheck some of these programs. If there's a way to go around it, could
> someone help?
>
> Thanks so much for a suggestion. Adela

I use Startup Control Panel myself:

http://www.mlin.net/StartupCPL.shtml