From: Adela on
Oh thank you too Dave, I'll use this one as well! :o) Adela

From: Adela on
Oh thank you, I'm going to try all of them and see what happens!
:But....the fact that it does something without my permission is ok?
(Though I wouldn't know whether or not to give it to....) lol! Adela

From: Adela on
Thank you, Vanguard, I don't intend to change my registry as I'm afraid to
cause a bad damage, but I may use the WinPatrol -with caution- and see
what happens. Thansk again! Adela

From: VanguardLH on
Adela wrote:

> "VanguardLH" <V(a)nguard.LH> wrote in message
>> Adela wrote:
>>
>>> [MS WinXP Home 2002 - SP3; OE 6; IE 8; MS Office Pro; Avast Antivir
>>> Free;
>>> Dell Dimension XPS T448MHz Pentium III; 640 MB RAM; high speed cable;
>>> Windows Media Player; Adobe Reader 8; Adobe Flash Player 10 Activex..]
>>>
>>> Hello, could someone tell me why the following and if there's a way
>>> around
>>> it please?:
>>>
>>> When I go to Startup to uncheck some programs to speed up the computer,
>>> it
>>> always appears a popup window saying that I changed the Configuration
>>> Utility to "Selective" or "Diagnostic" and that I should change it back
>>> "Standard"... >>
>>
>> Why not check the box already in that prompt that says not to prompt you
>> again?
>
> Thank you, and I did, but it remains that what's the purpose of this
> activity if I must revert it?

You have specified a selective startup. You disabled some of the
startup items using msconfig. You don't want a normal startup but
instead configured a selective startup. So msconfig obliges by
reminding you that you configured a selective startup. Since it may be
that you are troubleshooting to find out if a particular startup item is
causing a problem, msconfig reminds you that you configured a selective
startup by disabling one, or more, items. If you don't want that
reminder than tell msconfig to no prompt you anymore (until the next
time you use msconfig to change your startup list again and change your
selective startup configuration).

msconfig is useful for disabling startup items. However, it was
designed as a diagnostic tool. When you disable some or all startup
items using it, well, it's going to remind you that you still have those
items disabled should you be through with your troubleshooting. The
proper method of eliminating startup items is to delete them, not just
disable them. "Disabling" in msconfig does not delete anything.
Instead the item gets moved to a different registry key used to cache
the items that were disable by msconfig. Since the startup item is no
longer in its normal startup registry location, it doesn't get loaded.
When you re-check the disabled item in msconfig to re-enable it,
msconfig moves it out of its special holding registry key back to where
it was before.

msconfig doesn't delete any startup items. It only disables them to let
you troubleshoot a problem with startup items. If you want to actually
delete the startup items, you'll have to use a registry or employ a
utility that does the registry editing for you. SysInternals has their
AutoRuns utility to let you actually delete the startup items plus it
shows you a lot more startup locations in the registry than does
msconfig. Of course, whether using regedit or some utility to edit the
registry, you assume the risk of modifying the registry.

Some programs are very rude in that they will reinstate their startup
items. That is, you disable or delete their startup entry but when you
next run their program, it notices that the startup entry is missing and
re-adds it. So you disabling or deleting registry entries to remove
startup items is overridden when you run their program and it puts back
the startup entry. RealPlayer, QuickTime, and other programs are rude
like this. WinPatrol (there's a free version) will let you permanently
disable a startup item. Instead of disabling (by moving the entry
elsewhere to hold it for later possible reenable) or deleting an item,
WinPatrol will disable the item and keep it disabled. If the entry
shows up again, WinPatrol will disable it again.

An item you disable is NOT the same as deleting that item. Disable, by
its very definition, means you CAN reenable it. That's what msconfig
will do. If you want to actually delete a startup item, you could use
msconfig to move the entry to its special hold folder so it is gone from
the normal startup location, or you could actually delete the startup
item (which is not msconfig's purpose). When you visit a program's
configuration options, do you really think that disabling an option
actually deletes it from the program so you can never use (reenable)
that option later?

Disabling is not deletion. Disabling means the possiblity of later
reenabling. How would msconfig know that you weren't using it for
temporary troubleshooting, its intended purpose, and that later you want
back all the items that you disabled? So it asks you. If you don't
want the prompt, eliminate it (until the next time you apply changes
using msconfig).
From: Bob on
WinPatrol's Host-based Intrusion Prevention System(HIPS) takes snapshot of
your critical system resources and alerts you to any changes that may occur
without your knowledge.
http://www.softpedia.com/get/Internet/Popup-Ad-Spyware-Blockers/WinPatrol.shtml

First  |  Prev  |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2 3 4