From: Adela on
[MS WinXP Home 2002 - SP3; OE 6; IE 8; MS Office Pro; Avast Antivir Free;
Dell Dimension XPS T448MHz Pentium III; 640 MB RAM; high speed cable;
Windows Media Player; Adobe Reader 8; Adobe Flash Player 10 Activex..]

Hello, could someone tell me why the following and if there's a way around
it please?:

When I go to Startup to uncheck some programs to speed up the computer, it
always appears a popup window saying that I changed the Configuration
Utility to "Selective" or "Diagnostic" and that I should change it back to
"Standard"... This defeats the purpose for which so many techis recommend to
uncheck some of these programs. If there's a way to go around it, could
someone help?

Thanks so much for a suggestion. Adela

From: Bill in Co on
Adela wrote:
> [MS WinXP Home 2002 - SP3; OE 6; IE 8; MS Office Pro; Avast Antivir Free;
> Dell Dimension XPS T448MHz Pentium III; 640 MB RAM; high speed cable;
> Windows Media Player; Adobe Reader 8; Adobe Flash Player 10 Activex..]
>
> Hello, could someone tell me why the following and if there's a way around
> it please?:
>
> When I go to Startup to uncheck some programs to speed up the computer, it
> always appears a popup window saying that I changed the Configuration
> Utility to "Selective" or "Diagnostic" and that I should change it back to
> "Standard"... This defeats the purpose for which so many techis recommend
> to uncheck some of these programs. If there's a way to go around it,
> could
> someone help?
>
> Thanks so much for a suggestion. Adela

Who told you to go to startup and uncheck some items to "speed up your
computer"??? The purpose of msconfig's selective startup is to determine
which programs are causing a problem as a diagnostic tool (and then you
could uninstall them later, if needbe, or just remove their program
shortcuts from the \startup directory).

From: Menno Hershberger on
"Bill in Co" <surly_curmudgeon(a)earthlink.net> wrote in

> Adela wrote:
>> [MS WinXP Home 2002 - SP3; OE 6; IE 8; MS Office Pro; Avast Antivir
>> Free; Dell Dimension XPS T448MHz Pentium III; 640 MB RAM; high speed
>> cable; Windows Media Player; Adobe Reader 8; Adobe Flash Player 10
>> Activex..]
>>
>> Hello, could someone tell me why the following and if there's a way
>> around it please?:
>>
>> When I go to Startup to uncheck some programs to speed up the
>> computer, it always appears a popup window saying that I changed the
>> Configuration Utility to "Selective" or "Diagnostic" and that I
>> should change it back to "Standard"... This defeats the purpose for
>> which so many techis recommend to uncheck some of these programs. If
>> there's a way to go around it, could
>> someone help?
>>
>> Thanks so much for a suggestion. Adela
>
> Who told you to go to startup and uncheck some items to "speed up your
> computer"??? The purpose of msconfig's selective startup is to
> determine which programs are causing a problem as a diagnostic tool
> (and then you could uninstall them later, if needbe, or just remove
> their program shortcuts from the \startup directory).

It could have been someone like me, advising them to get rid of Limewire on
Startup, MSN messenger, Yahoo Messenger, AIM, qttask, Microsoft Office
Startup, etc. etc.......

--
--- Long live Fat32! ---
From: VanguardLH on
Adela wrote:

> [MS WinXP Home 2002 - SP3; OE 6; IE 8; MS Office Pro; Avast Antivir Free;
> Dell Dimension XPS T448MHz Pentium III; 640 MB RAM; high speed cable;
> Windows Media Player; Adobe Reader 8; Adobe Flash Player 10 Activex..]
>
> Hello, could someone tell me why the following and if there's a way around
> it please?:
>
> When I go to Startup to uncheck some programs to speed up the computer, it
> always appears a popup window saying that I changed the Configuration
> Utility to "Selective" or "Diagnostic" and that I should change it back to
> "Standard"... This defeats the purpose for which so many techis recommend to
> uncheck some of these programs. If there's a way to go around it, could
> someone help?
>
> Thanks so much for a suggestion. Adela

Why not check the box already in that prompt that says not to prompt you
again?
From: Martin on
On 26 July, 05:09, "Adela" <nuevade...(a)rcn.com> wrote:
> [MS WinXP Home 2002 -  SP3; OE 6; IE 8; MS Office Pro; Avast Antivir Free;
> Dell Dimension XPS T448MHz Pentium III; 640 MB RAM; high speed cable;
> Windows Media Player; Adobe Reader 8; Adobe Flash Player 10 Activex..]
>
> Hello, could someone tell me why the following and if there's a way around
> it please?:
>
> When I go to Startup to uncheck some programs to speed up the computer, it
> always appears a popup window saying that I changed the Configuration
> Utility to "Selective" or "Diagnostic" and that I should change it back to
> "Standard"... This defeats the purpose for which so many techis recommend to
> uncheck some of these programs.  If there's a way to go around it, could
> someone help?
>
> Thanks so much for a suggestion.         Adela

I use Startup Control Panel myself:

http://www.mlin.net/StartupCPL.shtml

Martin.
 |  Next  |  Last