From: Richard Oliver on
I have two machines, one running Vista Bus, the other running Win XP
Home, on which I have installed three programs--AntiVir. AdAware and
Malwarebytes--no problems and no infections.
My son's machine had to be wiped and had to have Win Xp re-installed as
a result of 96 different infections which corrupted the Windows OS.
After cleaning up I installed AntiVir, AdAware and Malwarebytes and this
caused all sorts of hanging and instability and eventually I had to
remove all three programs to get the machine to run normally.
I am sure that it was not the AntiVir program that was the problem as
after removing it there was no improvement in the situation.
But perhaps someone could explain why my son's machine should have a
different response to the installation of the three programs ?
I will be re-installing AntiVir ---
Regards,Richard
From: David H. Lipman on
From: "Richard Oliver" <R.Oliver(a)Spam.co.za>

| I have two machines, one running Vista Bus, the other running Win XP
| Home, on which I have installed three programs--AntiVir. AdAware and
| Malwarebytes--no problems and no infections.
| My son's machine had to be wiped and had to have Win Xp re-installed as
| a result of 96 different infections which corrupted the Windows OS.
| After cleaning up I installed AntiVir, AdAware and Malwarebytes and this
| caused all sorts of hanging and instability and eventually I had to
| remove all three programs to get the machine to run normally.
| I am sure that it was not the AntiVir program that was the problem as
| after removing it there was no improvement in the situation.
| But perhaps someone could explain why my son's machine should have a
| different response to the installation of the three programs ?
| I will be re-installing AntiVir ---
| Regards,Richard

Forget Ad-aware.

Check what ELSE is loading at StartUp.

--
Dave

From: David Kaye on
Richard Oliver <R.Oliver(a)Spam.co.za> wrote:

>My son's machine had to be wiped and had to have Win Xp re-installed as
>a result of 96 different infections which corrupted the Windows OS.

It is extremely rare that malware corrupts so much of Windows that you have to
reinstall. I have been doing an average of 3 of these a day over the past 8
years and have only had to reinstall Windows about 4 times because of malware.

>After cleaning up I installed AntiVir, AdAware and Malwarebytes and this
>caused all sorts of hanging and instability and eventually I had to
>remove all three programs to get the machine to run normally.

I'm not sure why you're running both AdAware and Malwarebytes, as they both
do the same thing. These days I'd choose the latter. And as I understand it,
the AdAware uses AntiVir technology.

>But perhaps someone could explain why my son's machine should have a
>different response to the installation of the three programs ?

When you turn on the computers they all come up Windows, but how they got
there is very different from one machine to the next. It's like driving a car
on the highway. You have a gas pedal and a brake and an engine, and a
windshield and tires, but different models drive differently.

From: Max Wachtel on
On Thu, 11 Feb 2010 13:59:06 -0500, Richard Oliver <R.Oliver(a)spam.co.za>
wrote:

> I have two machines, one running Vista Bus, the other running Win XP
> Home, on which I have installed three programs--AntiVir. AdAware and
> Malwarebytes--no problems and no infections.
> My son's machine had to be wiped and had to have Win Xp re-installed as
> a result of 96 different infections which corrupted the Windows OS.
> After cleaning up I installed AntiVir, AdAware and Malwarebytes and this
> caused all sorts of hanging and instability and eventually I had to
> remove all three programs to get the machine to run normally.
> I am sure that it was not the AntiVir program that was the problem as
> after removing it there was no improvement in the situation.
> But perhaps someone could explain why my son's machine should have a
> different response to the installation of the three programs ?
> I will be re-installing AntiVir ---
> Regards,Richard

Are you using the full version of MBAM? Did you install the security
programs before or after updating windows? I have experienced freezes
using it with AntiVir on my old w2k laptop but no problems on my xp
desktop. I also have heard that AdAware uses AntiVir so running both would
be redundant see-
http://forum.avira.com/wbb/index.php?page=Thread&threadID=94034
--
Max Wachtel
This post was created using Opera(a)USB: http://www.opera-usb.com
From: Richard Oliver on
Thanks very much for the replies /suggestionss---The machine is running
fine now with just AntiVir loaded but I will follow up on your advice
when I get to the machine and come back to you, Regards, Richard