From: salsan on

Its a kind of virus. I was facing the same issue when i started using
norton anti-virus it got fixed.

--
salsan
salsan's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/members/183593.htm

http://forums.techarena.in

From: David H. Lipman on
From: "salsan" <salsan.4663bc(a)DoNotSpam.com>

| Its a kind of virus. I was facing the same issue when i started using
| norton anti-virus it got fixed.

No it isn't and stop using the Leech of Usenet techarena.in and maybe you'll learn
something.

--
Dave

From: FromTheRafters on
"salsan" <salsan.4663bc(a)DoNotSpam.com> wrote in message

> Its a kind of virus. I was facing the same issue when i started using
> norton anti-virus it got fixed.

It may sound illogical, but the fact that an "antivirus" removed it does
not necessarily mean it was actually a virus.

Even if the antivirus program itself stated "Virus Found" it is no
guarantee that it was actually a virus.

Even if several antimalware site's write-ups say it is...it might not
be.

That, and what David said.

From: David Kaye on
salsan <salsan.4663bc(a)DoNotSpam.com> wrote:

>Its a kind of virus. I was facing the same issue when i started using
>norton anti-virus it got fixed.

A virus is a specific kind of infection. I don't see many viruses and I
troubleshoot malware fulltime. A virus is a piece of code that lodges on
your computer where it makes a duplicate of itself and sends itself on to
another computer, usually by email. At the next computer it does the same
thing.

Viruses are less efficient these days than trojans. A trojan is a program
that makes you believe it's something else. One of the most notorious trojans
is "Antivirus 2010" which makes you think it's a helpful program, when it does
exactly what you don't want it to do.

Trojans are more efficient because they can reside on a website where they get
indexed by Google, and the unsuspecting user accidentally downloads it and
infects their computer. All the heavy lifting is done by Google.

A classic example of a trojan attack was the famous Sarah Palin video in which
she "pardons" a Thanksgiving turkey while a guy standing behind her is killing
dozens of turkeys. A Google search of "Palin" and "turkey" turned up some
websites that purported to have the video. When you got to the website it
looked like the blurry image of a video that was ready to play, you know the
kind with a right arrow over the top. If you clicked the image, a message
would pop up saying that you needed the latest version of a video viewer to
see the video. Once you clicked OK to install the "viewer" you were infected
by a trojan. There never was any viewer. It was a rogue website designed to
get you to install malware on your computer.

From: David H. Lipman on
From: "David Kaye" <sfdavidkaye2(a)yahoo.com>

| salsan <salsan.4663bc(a)DoNotSpam.com> wrote:

>>Its a kind of virus. I was facing the same issue when i started using
>>norton anti-virus it got fixed.

| A virus is a specific kind of infection. I don't see many viruses and I
| troubleshoot malware fulltime. A virus is a piece of code that lodges on
| your computer where it makes a duplicate of itself and sends itself on to
| another computer, usually by email. At the next computer it does the same
| thing.

Parite and Virut are still seen but, very in relatively low percentages. They don't just
loodges onto your computer. that's kinda simplistaic. File infectors can append, prepend
or insert their code into other executables. They are in turn infected and can do
likewise spreading tyhe infection. A worm can use network protocaols to spread which can
be; RPC, SMB, SMTP, NNTP, etc. or even the AutoPlay/AutoRun facility

| Viruses are less efficient these days than trojans. A trojan is a program
| that makes you believe it's something else. One of the most notorious trojans
| is "Antivirus 2010" which makes you think it's a helpful program, when it does
| exactly what you don't want it to do.

Efficient is the wrong terminology. Prevelant is better. Viruses are less prevalent
these days. But that is the file infecting kind. If you take into account AutoRun worms
then teh prevelance is much higher.

Trojans account for most of the malware seen. They can have the same payload of a virus
but do not self replicate and need intervention or assistance to spread. They can also
append, prepend or insert their code into other executables. Often call trojanizing.
However the filke that been modified does not infect other files and spread the infection.

| Trojans are more efficient because they can reside on a
| website where they get indexed by Google, and the unsuspecting user accidentally
| downloads it and infects their computer. All the heavy lifting is done by Google.

That can be done with viruses just as easily. For example a Zapchest.

| A classic example of a trojan attack was the famous Sarah Palin video in which
| she "pardons" a Thanksgiving turkey while a guy standing behind her is killing
| dozens of turkeys. A Google search of "Palin" and "turkey" turned up some
| websites that purported to have the video. When you got to the website it
| looked like the blurry image of a video that was ready to play, you know the
| kind with a right arrow over the top. If you clicked the image, a message
| would pop up saying that you needed the latest version of a video viewer to
| see the video. Once you clicked OK to install the "viewer" you were infected
| by a trojan. There never was any viewer. It was a rogue website designed to
| get you to install malware on your computer.

Bad terminology again. You mean something more like "A classic example of a trojan ploy".
It isn't an "attack". To attack means it takes its own action and it is aggressive.

What you describe is a classic Social Engineeering ploy. Use a common subject of interest
and proclaim a video and to view the video you need a player or codec. That player or
codec is the trojan. The Zlob trojan was famous for it use of this tactic.

Take any beautiful woman and you have a male desire to see her and that will drive this
big time. Yesterday I downloaded a 10MB multi-part Usenet binary puported to be of Anna
kornikova. There were a dozen or so JPEGS and two EXE files...
anna721600x1200.src.exe ~904K
anna871600x1200.src.exe ~1.03MB

These trojans are more sophiscated. They are VMWare (VirtualBx, VirtualPC) and AntiVir
aware and so far seem to me Instant Messaging password stealers.

The important thing here is you have malware as a top level subject. Malware can be
broken down into two basic sub-types, viruses and trojans. Viruses (and this has some
acceptance and non-acceptance) can be broken down in a few subtype that include worms,
file infectors and disk infectors. Trojans can be brokjen down into a very broad number
of sub-types; RATS, BHOs, Dialers, Backdoors, data and password stealers, adware,
spyware, etc.

--
Dave