From: FromTheRafters on
"David Kaye" <sfdavidkaye2(a)yahoo.com> wrote in message
> salsan <salsan.4663bc(a)DoNotSpam.com> wrote:
>
>>Its a kind of virus. I was facing the same issue when i started using
>>norton anti-virus it got fixed.
>
> A virus is a specific kind of infection. I don't see many viruses and
> troubleshoot malware fulltime. A virus is a piece of code that lodges
> on
> your computer where it makes a duplicate of itself and sends itself on
> another computer, usually by email. At the next computer it does the
> same
> thing.

That is more a description of worm behavior (but some will say "all
worms are viruses"). Some will say it is a virus (not a worm) because it
requires the user's cooperation (the replicant's running not
programmatically determined by the parent). Some will say it is a worm
(not a virus) because it does not infect programs.

> Viruses are less efficient these days than trojans.

In a sense, a virally infected program is a trojan. If a particular
child instance is unable to infect programs, but can still trigger the
payload, it is a trojan (Epeian Virus).

> A trojan is a program that makes you believe it's something else.

A program that does some unwanted thing instead of, or in addition to
what the user wanted. It is subjective. If it replicates, it is more
important to term it a virus and leave the non-replicating types as
trojans. So, trojans don't replicate (if they do they're termed viruses
instead).

[...]