From: Jeff Liebermann on
"Abbigail" <i250(a)hotmail.co.uk> hath wroth:

>How would I be able to tell, if the neighbours where accessing my wireless
>connection, I would assume that the connection would be slower, however is
>it possible to tell if someone of accessing my wireless connection, is there
>any free software to download which could monitor this?

The software used is highly dependent on the make and model of your
wireless router, which you didn't supply. Most rely upon the router
to generate SNMP traps. See:
http://svs.sv.funpic.de
http://www.wallwatcher.com
http://www.linklogger.com
for examples.

There are also traffic sniffers. These watch the traffic in and out
of your wireless, usually between your broadband modem and your
router. If something new appears, they will detect it. For example:
http://home.comcast.net/~jay.deboer/airsnare/
http://www.ethereal.com
There are also commercial IDS (intrusion detection systems). Most are
not free, but you can probably bludgeon Arpwatch into some form of IDS
by detecting new IP addresses.
http://linuxcommand.org/man_pages/arpwatch8.html
If you have an integrated modem/router/wireless box, a sniffer will
NOT work because there's no place to sniff traffic. With a sniffer,
you will also need to use a hub, not a switch to sniff the traffic.

If your wireless router supports SNMP, various MIB browses and SNMP
monitoring tools can be used to count connections. I use MRTG or
RRDTool to graph the traffic and number of connections.
http://people.ee.ethz.ch/~oetiker/webtools/mrtg/
http://people.ee.ethz.ch/~oetiker/webtools/rrdtool/
There are lots (and lots) of free SNMP monitoring tools available:
http://www.simpleweb.org/software/

--
Jeff Liebermann jeffl(a)comix.santa-cruz.ca.us
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com
From: Jeff Liebermann on
Jeff Liebermann <jeffl(a)comix.santa-cruz.ca.us> hath wroth:

>The software used is highly dependent on the make and model of your
>wireless router, which you didn't supply. Most rely upon the router
>to generate SNMP traps. See:
> http://svs.sv.funpic.de
> http://www.wallwatcher.com
> http://www.linklogger.com
>for examples.

Ooops. I forgot about Syslog monitors. Link Logger uses Syslog, not
SNMP traps. Other free syslog monitors are:
http://www.linklogger.com
http://www.kiwisyslog.com/products.htm#syslog
http://www.winsyslog.com (free version)
More of the same:
http://www.practicallynetworked.com/support/syslog.htm
http://www.softpanorama.org/Logs/Syslog/syslog_for_windows.shtml
As with SNMP, the router or wireless access point needs to support
syslog.
From: David Taylor on

Although I do have to say that the sentence which states "the owner is
ultimately responsible" could still be subject to legal attack.

Does it also therefore follow that if you leave your car unlocked and it
is stolen and used for illegal purposes that the original owner is
responsible for the actions that follow?

It's a weak accusation on from the CPS at best but as ever, unless
properly tested, quotes like that will remain.

David.
From: David Taylor on
> If he can access your WiFi, he can break into your LAN computers and
> steal your {identity, credit card numbers, passwords, money}. Other

Not necessarily.

David.
From: Rob on
David Taylor wrote:
>>http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/4721723.stm
>

> Although I do have to say that the sentence which states "the owner is
> ultimately responsible" could still be subject to legal attack.
>
> Does it also therefore follow that if you leave your car unlocked and it
> is stolen and used for illegal purposes that the original owner is
> responsible for the actions that follow?
>
> It's a weak accusation on from the CPS at best but as ever, unless
> properly tested, quotes like that will remain.
>
> David.
If a car is "taken" it is no longer possible for the owner to control
it's use whereas the "network" is still under the control of it's owner
and he can control it's use, wonderful things on/off switches.