From: Barry Margolin on
In article <hh01ci$hai$6(a)news.xmission.com>,
gazelle(a)shell.xmission.com (Kenny McCormack) wrote:

> In article <barmar-5DF592.10030924122009(a)nothing.attdns.com>,
> Barry Margolin <barmar(a)alum.mit.edu> wrote:
> >Since a big piece of the problem seems to be that VMWare doesn't like it
> >when you change the network configuration out from under it, I think
> >your question might be more appropriately posted in a VMWare group, or
> >maybe sent to VMWare tech support. It's not really a generic Unix
> >issue, but something specific to VMWare.
>
> True, on the surface.
>
> However, I can't fix VMWare. Don't argue with that; it is simply a fact.

But the VMWare tech support people might know how to configure OS X
appropriately for what you're doing.

--
Barry Margolin, barmar(a)alum.mit.edu
Arlington, MA
From: Kenny McCormack on
In article <barmar-F1CCF1.16504424122009(a)nothing.attdns.com>,
Barry Margolin <barmar(a)alum.mit.edu> wrote:
>> However, I can't fix VMWare. Don't argue with that; it is simply a fact.
>
>But the VMWare tech support people might know how to configure OS X
>appropriately for what you're doing.

Don't go there. There is no VMWare tech support. I know their business
model now.

I'm not knocking them or trying to be difficult (seriously). It is just
that their tech support mountain is too difficult to climb nowadays.

From: Barry Margolin on
In article <hh0slp$1ja$1(a)news.xmission.com>,
gazelle(a)shell.xmission.com (Kenny McCormack) wrote:

> In article <barmar-F1CCF1.16504424122009(a)nothing.attdns.com>,
> Barry Margolin <barmar(a)alum.mit.edu> wrote:
> >> However, I can't fix VMWare. Don't argue with that; it is simply a fact.
> >
> >But the VMWare tech support people might know how to configure OS X
> >appropriately for what you're doing.
>
> Don't go there. There is no VMWare tech support. I know their business
> model now.
>
> I'm not knocking them or trying to be difficult (seriously). It is just
> that their tech support mountain is too difficult to climb nowadays.

OK, then a newsgroup or forum. My point is that other VMWare users are
more likely to know the workaround for this than generic Unix
programmers (BTW, why is this in .programmer rather than .admin?).

From: Kenny McCormack on
In article <barmar-19201B.01420425122009(a)news.eternal-september.org>,
Barry Margolin <barmar(a)alum.mit.edu> wrote:
>> I'm not knocking them or trying to be difficult (seriously). It is just
>> that their tech support mountain is too difficult to climb nowadays.
>
>OK, then a newsgroup or forum. My point is that other VMWare users are

See above. I consider all of that to be part of the "tech support mountain".

>more likely to know the workaround for this than generic Unix
>programmers (BTW, why is this in .programmer rather than .admin?).

When we start discussing topicality, I think we can safely say that we
are now into "angels on pins" territory.

From: Barry Margolin on
In article <hh2cvh$psg$1(a)news.xmission.com>,
gazelle(a)shell.xmission.com (Kenny McCormack) wrote:

> In article <barmar-19201B.01420425122009(a)news.eternal-september.org>,
> Barry Margolin <barmar(a)alum.mit.edu> wrote:
> >> I'm not knocking them or trying to be difficult (seriously). It is just
> >> that their tech support mountain is too difficult to climb nowadays.
> >
> >OK, then a newsgroup or forum. My point is that other VMWare users are
>
> See above. I consider all of that to be part of the "tech support mountain".
>
> >more likely to know the workaround for this than generic Unix
> >programmers (BTW, why is this in .programmer rather than .admin?).
>
> When we start discussing topicality, I think we can safely say that we
> are now into "angels on pins" territory.

My basic point is that you need to find experts on using VMWare on Macs,
and I don't think you've found them here. Configuring networking on
Macs is not like generic Unix, and when you throw in your unusual VMWare
constraints it's even further from our bailiwick.

I'm a Mac user (for 25 years), and I don't know how to trick it into
doing what you want.