From: Kenny McCormack on
(Meta note: Please, no guff to the effect that I "should" have posted
this in the other thread. I have my reasons for starting a new thread.)

OK, so I found the GUI control panel for changing the network settings.
Basically, it gives these options for configuring the device (en0):
1) Manual
2) DHCP
3) DHCP with manual address
4) BOOTP
5) Off

Now, the problem is this: I am running a virtual machine, using VmWare
Fusion, and I want the VM to connect to my cable modem. The point, of
course, is that only one machine can be connected to the cable modem,
and there is a race condition between the VM and the real machine to see
who gets the attention of the cable modem. That is, who gets attention first.

Unfortunately, lately, the Mac seems to be winning the race (before, it
was working correctly -> the VM was winning). Nothing changed to cause
this to change, but obviously something did (if you see what I mean...)

Now, unfortunately, if I set the control panel setting to anything other
than DHCP, then VmWare gets unhappy and decides that the ethernet device
isn't running. You get a weird error message from VmWare about the
bridged device not running. So, what I need (on the Mac side) is either:
1) To leave it as DHCP, but a way to temporarily disable the DHCP
seeking behavior. And then to re-enable it later.
I.e., I want the equivalent of doing "ipconfig /release" in
Windows. And then, of course, "ipconfig /renew".
Or:
2) A way to put it to, say, Manual, and then do the right commands
from the shell prompt to make VmWare happy with the state of the
device.

Help (or pointer to URL) with 1) or 2) above would be greatly
appreciated. Note that option 1) above is preferred.

From: Moi on
On Wed, 23 Dec 2009 12:43:46 +0000, Kenny McCormack wrote:

> (Meta note: Please, no guff to the effect that I "should" have posted
> this in the other thread. I have my reasons for starting a new thread.)
>
> OK, so I found the GUI control panel for changing the network settings.
> Basically, it gives these options for configuring the device (en0):
> 1) Manual
> 2) DHCP
> 3) DHCP with manual address
> 4) BOOTP
> 5) Off
>
> Now, the problem is this: I am running a virtual machine, using VmWare
> Fusion, and I want the VM to connect to my cable modem. The point, of
> course, is that only one machine can be connected to the cable modem,
> and there is a race condition between the VM and the real machine to see
> who gets the attention of the cable modem. That is, who gets attention
> first.
>
> Unfortunately, lately, the Mac seems to be winning the race (before, it
> was working correctly -> the VM was winning). Nothing changed to cause
> this to change, but obviously something did (if you see what I mean...)

I'd put a router between the computer and the modem.
Routers typically have DHCP servers on board, which would allow each VM to
obtain it's own DHCP lease. Timeout could be a problem. ARP could also be
a probem, but I assume that VMware properly supplies fake MAC addresses
for the VMs.

HTH,
AvK
From: Kenny McCormack on
In article <51622$4b321e3b$5350c024$14788(a)cache110.multikabel.net>,
Moi <root(a)invalid.address.org> wrote:
>I'd put a router between the computer and the modem.
>Routers typically have DHCP servers on board, which would allow each VM to
>obtain it's own DHCP lease. Timeout could be a problem. ARP could also be
>a probem, but I assume that VMware properly supplies fake MAC addresses
>for the VMs.

Thank you for your contribution, but not a solution.

Please solve the problem as stated.

From: Golden California Girls on
Kenny McCormack wrote:
> (Meta note: Please, no guff to the effect that I "should" have posted
> this in the other thread. I have my reasons for starting a new thread.)
>
> OK, so I found the GUI control panel for changing the network settings.
> Basically, it gives these options for configuring the device (en0):
> 1) Manual
> 2) DHCP
> 3) DHCP with manual address
> 4) BOOTP
> 5) Off
>
> Now, the problem is this: I am running a virtual machine, using VmWare
> Fusion, and I want the VM to connect to my cable modem. The point, of
> course, is that only one machine can be connected to the cable modem,
> and there is a race condition between the VM and the real machine to see
> who gets the attention of the cable modem. That is, who gets attention first.
>
> Unfortunately, lately, the Mac seems to be winning the race (before, it
> was working correctly -> the VM was winning). Nothing changed to cause
> this to change, but obviously something did (if you see what I mean...)
>
> Now, unfortunately, if I set the control panel setting to anything other
> than DHCP, then VmWare gets unhappy and decides that the ethernet device
> isn't running. You get a weird error message from VmWare about the
> bridged device not running. So, what I need (on the Mac side) is either:
> 1) To leave it as DHCP, but a way to temporarily disable the DHCP
> seeking behavior. And then to re-enable it later.
> I.e., I want the equivalent of doing "ipconfig /release" in
> Windows. And then, of course, "ipconfig /renew".
> Or:
> 2) A way to put it to, say, Manual, and then do the right commands
> from the shell prompt to make VmWare happy with the state of the
> device.
>
> Help (or pointer to URL) with 1) or 2) above would be greatly
> appreciated. Note that option 1) above is preferred.

Been a while since 10.4.x, but IIRC the network is brought up via a shell
script. Edit the script might be the answer.

http://osxbook.com/book/bonus/ancient/whatismacosx//arch_startup.html
From: Scott Lurndal on
gazelle(a)shell.xmission.com (Kenny McCormack) writes:
>In article <51622$4b321e3b$5350c024$14788(a)cache110.multikabel.net>,
>Moi <root(a)invalid.address.org> wrote:
>>I'd put a router between the computer and the modem.
>>Routers typically have DHCP servers on board, which would allow each VM to
>>obtain it's own DHCP lease. Timeout could be a problem. ARP could also be
>>a probem, but I assume that VMware properly supplies fake MAC addresses
>>for the VMs.
>
>Thank you for your contribution, but not a solution.
>
>Please solve the problem as stated.

why? This isn't a classroom. A USD50 router would handle all your
issues without having to fart with OSx configuration.

scott