From: Kenny McCormack on
In article <barmar-1189B6.18115525122009(a)news.eternal-september.org>,
Barry Margolin <barmar(a)alum.mit.edu> wrote:
>I'm a Mac user (for 25 years), and I don't know how to trick it into
>doing what you want.

You may be right. It may not be possible (*).
That would be a pity, but not totally unexpected.

(*) Given, as you say, my somewhat strange requirements.

From: Kenny McCormack on
In article <hh3ps9$hi9$1(a)news.xmission.com>,
Kenny McCormack <gazelle(a)shell.xmission.com> wrote:
>In article <barmar-1189B6.18115525122009(a)news.eternal-september.org>,
>Barry Margolin <barmar(a)alum.mit.edu> wrote:
>>I'm a Mac user (for 25 years), and I don't know how to trick it into
>>doing what you want.
>
>You may be right. It may not be possible (*).
>That would be a pity, but not totally unexpected.
>
>(*) Given, as you say, my somewhat strange requirements.

P.S. I should also add that the equivalent thing *does* work under
Windows. That is, if you run VMWare for Windows, you can set things up
so that the VM sees and accesses the ethernet device but the host OS has
it in the "released" state - via doing: ipconfig /release

I have done this and found it useful (under Windows), in a similar situation.
So, it seemed reasonable to expect the same would be possible on the Mac.