From: Howard Brazee on
On Mon, 9 Apr 2007 18:25:41 +0000 (UTC), docdwarf(a)panix.com () wrote:

>You might have checked other things as well... there's an Olde Joke you
>might have stumbled across, say, at
>http://www.dotnetspider.com/fun/Computer-Joke-838.aspx .

Although looking up the longitude and latitude mentioned in that joke
leaves me scratching my head.
From: Anonymous on
In article <h83l135hg4pgs80td2kqima848pka3edtm(a)4ax.com>,
Howard Brazee <howard(a)brazee.net> wrote:
>On Mon, 9 Apr 2007 18:25:41 +0000 (UTC), docdwarf(a)panix.com () wrote:
>
>>You might have checked other things as well... there's an Olde Joke you
>>might have stumbled across, say, at
>>http://www.dotnetspider.com/fun/Computer-Joke-838.aspx .
>
>Although looking up the longitude and latitude mentioned in that joke
>leaves me scratching my head.

Don't worry, Mr Brazee... somehow that will be the programmer's fault, as
well.

DD

From: HeyBub on
docdwarf(a)panix.com wrote:
> In article <h83l135hg4pgs80td2kqima848pka3edtm(a)4ax.com>,
> Howard Brazee <howard(a)brazee.net> wrote:
>> On Mon, 9 Apr 2007 18:25:41 +0000 (UTC), docdwarf(a)panix.com () wrote:
>>
>>> You might have checked other things as well... there's an Olde Joke
>>> you might have stumbled across, say, at
>>> http://www.dotnetspider.com/fun/Computer-Joke-838.aspx .
>>
>> Although looking up the longitude and latitude mentioned in that joke
>> leaves me scratching my head.
>
> Don't worry, Mr Brazee... somehow that will be the programmer's
> fault, as well.

Evidently as the location is about 500 miles east of New York City, in the
Atlantic.

From: Pete Dashwood on

<docdwarf(a)panix.com> wrote in message news:eve0f5$lsf$1(a)reader2.panix.com...
> In article <1176138034.214060.257610(a)q75g2000hsh.googlegroups.com>,
> DaveM <renfrew76(a)xemaps.com> wrote:
>>Mr Dworf,
>
> Please... jes' ol' Doc, if you can manage to spell that correctly.
>

>>Hindsight being 20-20, our archival research would have yielded much
>>better results had we known to search for the term "embedded sql".
>>Had you bothered to heed my earlier mention about our admitted
>>starting place of ignorance then you would have already figured out
>>that it can be quite difficult to ask for something when you don't
>>even know what it is really supposed to be called in the first
>>place.
>
> The responsibility for knowing where one is going and how to request such
> a thing is that of the traveller... knowing neither where one wishes to
> end up nor how to request information about it may, indeed, result in
> one's getting lost.

It certainly does if one only encounters unhelpful people.

People of goodwill can assist the traveller to more clearly define the goals
and the road, even if these are fuzzy at the start.

Sometimes the actual destination is not the one that was originally
envisioned, but as always, the action of getting there is an opportunity for
growth.

>>Speaking of my own ignorance, I really should have thought to check
>>your track record before I responded to you the first time.
>
> You might have checked other things as well... there's an Olde Joke you
> might have stumbled across, say, at
> http://www.dotnetspider.com/fun/Computer-Joke-838.aspx .

Not sure what the point is here... we have a patently incompetent
programmer, and a patently stupid Project Manager, neither of whom have any
responsibility for their actions.

As they are both idiots, whatever their interaction is, it is of little
consequence. For this joke to work, it would be necessary to identify with
one or other of the parties. This requires us to assume the same mantle of
idiocy that they both display.

Ah, now I see why SOME might find it amusing... :-)

Pete.

From: Anonymous on
In article <58014tF2f874sU1(a)mid.individual.net>,
Pete Dashwood <dashwood(a)removethis.enternet.co.nz> wrote:

><docdwarf(a)panix.com> wrote in message news:eve0f5$lsf$1(a)reader2.panix.com...
>> In article <1176138034.214060.257610(a)q75g2000hsh.googlegroups.com>,
>> DaveM <renfrew76(a)xemaps.com> wrote:
>>>Mr Dworf,
>>
>> Please... jes' ol' Doc, if you can manage to spell that correctly.
>>

>>>Hindsight being 20-20, our archival research would have yielded much
>>>better results had we known to search for the term "embedded sql".
>>>Had you bothered to heed my earlier mention about our admitted
>>>starting place of ignorance then you would have already figured out
>>>that it can be quite difficult to ask for something when you don't
>>>even know what it is really supposed to be called in the first
>>>place.
>>
>> The responsibility for knowing where one is going and how to request such
>> a thing is that of the traveller... knowing neither where one wishes to
>> end up nor how to request information about it may, indeed, result in
>> one's getting lost.
>
>It certainly does if one only encounters unhelpful people.

'Helpful', Mr Dashwood, might be in the mind of the beholder... assisting
someone in learning that it is best to swallow before speaking can not
only assist in clarity of communication, it may decrease someone's chance
of aspirating food.

>People of goodwill can assist the traveller to more clearly define the goals
>and the road, even if these are fuzzy at the start.
>
>Sometimes the actual destination is not the one that was originally
>envisioned, but as always, the action of getting there is an opportunity for
>growth.

Being taught that saying 'row' and when to say 'record' when one seeks
free advice from professionals about a business-related matter might cause
one to be taken... a bit less seriously that one desires could well be an
'opportunity for growth' that comes about completely serendipitously,
sure!

>>>Speaking of my own ignorance, I really should have thought to check
>>>your track record before I responded to you the first time.
>>
>> You might have checked other things as well... there's an Olde Joke you
>> might have stumbled across, say, at
>> http://www.dotnetspider.com/fun/Computer-Joke-838.aspx .
>>

>Not sure what the point is here... we have a patently incompetent
>programmer, and a patently stupid Project Manager, neither of whom have any
>responsibility for their actions.
>
>As they are both idiots, whatever their interaction is, it is of little
>consequence. For this joke to work, it would be necessary to identify with

Leaving aside that the text in the URL given might be seen as showing as
much about programming comptence as it does about managerial stupidity
(but it might be seen as... significant how someone might leave a
reference to a programmer in lower case while Project Manager gets
Capitalised) it might be wise to recall an interchange from that Classic
of Anciente Philosophie, 'The Day the Earth Stood Still' (as quoted on
http://imdb.com/title/tt0043456/quotes ):

--begin quoted text:

Mr. Harley: Your impatience is quite understandable.
Klaatu: I'm impatient with stupidity. My people have learned to live
without it.
Mr. Harley: I'm afraid my people haven't. I'm very sorry... I wish it were
otherwise.

--end quoted text

[snip]

>Ah, now I see why SOME might find it amusing... :-)

To the best of my knowledge, Mr Dashwood, no-one has posted to this forum
calling it such.

DD