From: John on
Thanks but this is counting all of the instances of Y when I want to count
the insatances where Y is present in col a AND A is present in colb - both
are independant of on antother
--
John

From: John on
Thanks but I get #N/A the variables in col a and b are independant of one
another and I want to count the instances of A in col b when there is a Y in
col a both can occur in a range of rows like row 1:200
--
John

From: Ms-Exl-Learner on
Check the reply posted by Mike Sir. It will get the result which you are
expecting to do.

--------------------
(Ms-Exl-Learner)
--------------------

From: John on
I think I stumbled onto the solution using your formula but modifying it to
=COUNTIF(E:E,"AT")+IF(C:C,"Y") I prooved the accuracy of the count by
manually checking.

Thanks

--
John

From: Mike H on
Hi,

>I want to count the instances of A in col b when there is a Y in
> col a

That is exactly what my formula does and if it isn't working then my guess
is you entered it incorrectly

This for example will return #NA because the ranges are different sizes
=SUMPRODUCT((A1:A20="Y")*(B1:B21="A"))

--
Mike

question.

"John" wrote:

> Thanks but I get #N/A the variables in col a and b are independant of one
> another and I want to count the instances of A in col b when there is a Y in
> col a both can occur in a range of rows like row 1:200
> --
> John
>

> "Mike H" wrote:
>
> > John.
> >
> > try this
> >
> > =SUMPRODUCT((A1:A20="Y")*(B1:B20="A"))
> > --
> > Mike
> >
> > When competing hypotheses are otherwise equal, adopt the hypothesis that
> > introduces the fewest assumptions while still sufficiently answering the
> > question.
> >

> > "John" wrote:
> >
> > > In column A I have set of characters that are entered into the rows below
> > > (i.e. Y, N, MRO) in column B I have another set of characters that are
> > > entered into the rows below (i.e. A, E, on so on). I want to count the
> > > instances when the rows in Column A contain a Y and the rows in column B
> > > contain an A. Is there an simple formula for doing this? Any help will be
> > > appreciated.
> > > --
> > > John
First  |  Prev  |  Next  |  Last