From: Mike H on
That doesn't work if the AT & Y need to be in the same row which is how you
question reads
--
Mike

question.

From: steve on
You asked for a formula looking for "Y" in column A and "A" in column B
And the answer you stumbled on Looks for "AT" in column E and "Y" in column
How did we manage to get that one so wrong.

From: Ms-Exl-Learner on
You have to go as per the formula suggested by Mike Sir.

--------------------
(Ms-Exl-Learner)
--------------------

From: John on
Apparently there is a flaw in what I thought was the solution. i looks like
the modified formula is simply counting all instances of "AT" regardless of
the presence of any character in col C. I'm still looking for a solution,
please.
--
John

From: John on
I get the following message in the cell "The formula contains unrecognized
text"
--
John

"steve" wrote:

> =COUNTIFS(A:A,"Y",B:B,"A")
>
> Regards
> Steve
>
> "John" <John(a)discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > In column A I have set of characters that are entered into the rows below
> > (i.e. Y, N, MRO) in column B I have another set of characters that are
> > entered into the rows below (i.e. A, E, on so on). I want to count the
> > instances when the rows in Column A contain a Y and the rows in column B
> > contain an A. Is there an simple formula for doing this? Any help will
> > be
> > appreciated.
> > --
> > John