From: Hunter on
Arrrggghhh, iinet has recently moved its' users onto the westnet news
server, and it's dropping posts left/right/centre, including my own
which somehow seem to propogate through it to receive replies but in
many cases are not being held on it.

Anyone know of a good news service that ain't super expensive and is
decently speedy when pulling headers down to Oz?
From: Hunter on
Hmmmm, looks like they're using Giganews, that definitely wont be a
candidate....

From: Rob on
Hunter wrote:
> Hmmmm, looks like they're using Giganews, that definitely wont be a
> candidate....
>

> Hunter wrote:
>> Arrrggghhh, iinet has recently moved its' users onto the westnet news
>> server, and it's dropping posts left/right/centre, including my own
>> which somehow seem to propogate through it to receive replies but in
>> many cases are not being held on it.
>>
>> Anyone know of a good news service that ain't super expensive and is
>> decently speedy when pulling headers down to Oz?

http://www.eternal-september.org/

seems OK, free you have to signup. Worth a try.

just had my ISP drop the news server - which was free - now have to
count the external downloads -

there is also - nntp.aioe.org been down a bit of late.

From: CyBorg 0091 on
On Nov 28, 4:36 pm, Rob <mesam...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> Hunter wrote:
> > Hmmmm, looks like they're using Giganews, that definitely wont be a
> > candidate....
>
> > Hunter wrote:
> >> Arrrggghhh, iinet has recently moved its' users onto the westnet news
> >> server, and it's dropping posts left/right/centre, including my own
> >> which somehow seem to propogate through it to receive replies but in
> >> many cases are not being held on it.
>
> >> Anyone know of a good news service that ain't super expensive and is
> >> decently speedy when pulling headers down to Oz?
>
> http://www.eternal-september.org/
>
> seems OK, free you have to signup. Worth a try.
>
> just had my ISP drop the news server - which was free  - now have to
> count the external downloads -
>
> there is also - nntp.aioe.org been down a bit of late.

try usenet.com.au (I think)or googlegroups.com work ok
From: Hunter on
CyBorg 0091 wrote:
> On Nov 28, 4:36 pm, Rob <mesam...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
>> Hunter wrote:
>>> Hmmmm, looks like they're using Giganews, that definitely wont be a
>>> candidate....
>> http://www.eternal-september.org/
>>
>> seems OK, free you have to signup. Worth a try.
>>
>> just had my ISP drop the news server - which was free - now have to
>> count the external downloads -
>>
>> there is also - nntp.aioe.org been down a bit of late.

> try usenet.com.au (I think)or googlegroups.com work ok

No nntp with google groups and from a quick look usenet.com.au has a
very limited list of newsgroups? :(