From: L.A.T. on
A neighbour, eighty-plus years old, decided to replace his faltering XP
system and bought a Dell.
It has Windows7 on it and no Email program. Our Windows7 machine is an
upgrade from Vista so anything we learned is useless to him because we are
still using Windows Mail, or whatever it is, from Vista. Can anyone
recommend a suitable Email programme that is as similar to Outlook Express
as possible? He really uses his machine for little more than Email. He feels
a bit lost.

From: blank on
Windows Live Mail is the Outlook Express lookalike. It is very similar and
works perfectly well so long as you are expecting nothing more than was
available in OE. Opinions vary, but I find it totally acceptable. It means
signing up to Windows Live, but if you do it carefully, you can download
only the email component--no need to get messenger and all the other
microsoft junk.

From: . on

http://download.live.com/wlmail

From: L.A.T. on

"blank" <blank(a)nowhere.com> wrote in message
> Windows Live Mail is the Outlook Express lookalike. It is very similar
> and works perfectly well so long as you are expecting nothing more than
> was available in OE. Opinions vary, but I find it totally acceptable. It
> means signing up to Windows Live, but if you do it carefully, you can
> download only the email component--no need to get messenger and all the
> other microsoft junk.
>
>Thank you.
There are quite few sites for downloading it, and some of them make no
mention of Windows7, just XP and Vista. I have downloaded a version that
seems to be OK. I am hoping I will be presented with the options you mention
at install time.

From: blank on

> "blank" <blank(a)nowhere.com> wrote in message
>> Windows Live Mail is the Outlook Express lookalike. It is very similar
>> and works perfectly well so long as you are expecting nothing more than
>> was available in OE. Opinions vary, but I find it totally acceptable.
>> It means signing up to Windows Live, but if you do it carefully, you can
>> download only the email component--no need to get messenger and all the
>> other microsoft junk.
>>
>>Thank you.
> There are quite few sites for downloading it, and some of them make no
> mention of Windows7, just XP and Vista. I have downloaded a version that
> seems to be OK. I am hoping I will be presented with the options you
> mention at install time.

I'm running it in Win7 and its fine. Just be careful you have downloaded
Windows Live Mail, not Windows Live Hotmail--they are different. (Tho my
wife uses the Hotmail version on her Win7 HP computer and says it is fine.)