From: SolomonW on
On Thu, 26 Nov 2009 04:28:26 GMT, L.A.T. wrote:

> A neighbour, eighty-plus years old, decided to replace his faltering XP
> system and bought a Dell.
> It has Windows7 on it and no Email program. Our Windows7 machine is an
> upgrade from Vista so anything we learned is useless to him because we are
> still using Windows Mail, or whatever it is, from Vista. Can anyone
> recommend a suitable Email programme that is as similar to Outlook Express
> as possible? He really uses his machine for little more than Email. He feels
> a bit lost.

Free Microsoft Office 2010 Beta Now Available will last him for 12 months

http://www.microsoft.com/office/2010/en/download-office-professional-plus/default.aspx
From: steam3801 on
On Thu, 26 Nov 2009 04:28:26 GMT, "L.A.T." <tt92(a)ispdr.net.au> wrote:

>A neighbour, eighty-plus years old, decided to replace his faltering XP
>system and bought a Dell.
>It has Windows7 on it and no Email program. Our Windows7 machine is an
>upgrade from Vista so anything we learned is useless to him because we are
>still using Windows Mail, or whatever it is, from Vista. Can anyone
>recommend a suitable Email programme that is as similar to Outlook Express
>as possible? He really uses his machine for little more than Email. He feels
>a bit lost.

Windows 7 does include Windows Mail.

But, it is hidden and the process to "activate" it is arguably not
worth the trouble.

Basically, what you have to do

- unhide system files

- locate Windows Mail in the program directory

- take ownership of the files in that directory, one by one

- copy Windows Mail program files from an another Vista installation
and rep[lace the W7 ones (for some reason, just copying the files
won't work unless the above steps are followed)

(- some websites also suggest a registry tweak)

- import mail files from the old Windows Mail installation.
--
idgat
Computer-ji, D, lock kiya jaye!
From: Rob on
steam3801 wrote:
> On Thu, 26 Nov 2009 04:28:26 GMT, "L.A.T." <tt92(a)ispdr.net.au> wrote:
>
>> A neighbour, eighty-plus years old, decided to replace his faltering XP
>> system and bought a Dell.
>> It has Windows7 on it and no Email program. Our Windows7 machine is an
>> upgrade from Vista so anything we learned is useless to him because we are
>> still using Windows Mail, or whatever it is, from Vista. Can anyone
>> recommend a suitable Email programme that is as similar to Outlook Express
>> as possible? He really uses his machine for little more than Email. He feels
>> a bit lost.
>>

> Windows 7 does include Windows Mail.
>
> But, it is hidden and the process to "activate" it is arguably not
> worth the trouble.
>
> Basically, what you have to do
>
> - unhide system files
>
> - locate Windows Mail in the program directory
>
> - take ownership of the files in that directory, one by one
>
> - copy Windows Mail program files from an another Vista installation
> and rep[lace the W7 ones (for some reason, just copying the files
> won't work unless the above steps are followed)
>
> (- some websites also suggest a registry tweak)
>
> - import mail files from the old Windows Mail installation.
> --
> idgat
> Computer-ji, D, lock kiya jaye!

You made that sound so easy :)

From: keithr on
L.A.T. wrote:
> A neighbour, eighty-plus years old, decided to replace his faltering XP
> system and bought a Dell.
> It has Windows7 on it and no Email program. Our Windows7 machine is an
> upgrade from Vista so anything we learned is useless to him because we are
> still using Windows Mail, or whatever it is, from Vista. Can anyone
> recommend a suitable Email programme that is as similar to Outlook Express
> as possible? He really uses his machine for little more than Email. He feels
> a bit lost.

Download Thunderbird, it is free and easy to use.

http://www.mozillamessaging.com/en-US/thunderbird/
From: L.A.T. on

"keithr" <keith(a)nowhere.com.au> wrote in message
> L.A.T. wrote:
>> A neighbour, eighty-plus years old, decided to replace his faltering XP
>> system and bought a Dell.
>> It has Windows7 on it and no Email program. Our Windows7 machine is an
>> upgrade from Vista so anything we learned is useless to him because we
>> are still using Windows Mail, or whatever it is, from Vista. Can anyone
>> recommend a suitable Email programme that is as similar to Outlook
>> Express as possible? He really uses his machine for little more than
>> Email. He feels a bit lost.
> Download Thunderbird, it is free and easy to use.
>
> http://www.mozillamessaging.com/en-US/thunderbird/
Thank you all.
We downloaded Live Mail and installed it without incident. I was going to
export and import his address book, but he chose to re-key all the active
stuff and there was not all that much of it. As he said, "They've all died".
Another win to aus.computers.