From: OakvilleHero on
I'm trying to make a web site so that the end user selects a
"province" from a drop down menu and depending on which "province" he
selects, certain web parts would show/hide. kind of like a region
filter.

I've spent 3 days trying to wrap my head around this, and this is the
route i'm taking..

Create a base class that inherits from Webpart which takes care of the
check and inherit all our other webparts from that. We can use WP
connections. http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd585662%28office.11%29.aspx

Since I'm going to need to do the same thing for lots of pages
(meaning contact us would be different for different provinces). I
should use generic Session var.

So in conclusion, our DropDownList control sets a session var when
selected index changes, our web part base class overrides render and
checks the value of that var against a value set in it to decide if it
should show/hide.

Can someone help me with the code for the base class web part (and
comparing the session var to a value in the web part)?