From: David Kennedy on
Hugh Browton wrote:
> On Wed, 30 Jun 2010 23:03:51 +0100, Bella Jones wrote
> (in article<1jkx8o9.tm8snu1fjz7e1N%me9(a)privacy.net>):
>
>> Dear good people of ucsm
>>
>> I'm not a big poster here any more, but I do pop in. For months now it's
>> been wall to wall pointless self-referential rows with Rowland.
>
> In defence - no, not only that.

You are of course right but, as Bella said, it's drowning out anything
useful and, most days, I give up after a few posts.

--
David Kennedy

http://www.anindianinexile.com
From: Bella Jones on
Hugh Browton <useneth@**.not.uk> wrote:

> On Wed, 30 Jun 2010 23:03:51 +0100, Bella Jones wrote
> (in article <1jkx8o9.tm8snu1fjz7e1N%me9(a)privacy.net>):
>
> > Dear good people of ucsm
> >
> > I'm not a big poster here any more, but I do pop in. For months now it's
> > been wall to wall pointless self-referential rows with Rowland.
>
> In defence - no, not only that.
>
> But I agree that it makes the place look small minded.
>
> Listen to Bella, fellow-ucsm-ers.

I don't mean it has been *only* that, but the last few months have been
especially florid. It doesn't look good.

Whether he intends it or not is immaterial - Rowland has become the
uber-troll, and it's working.

--
bellajonez at yahoo dot co dot uk
From: djp on
me9(a)privacy.net (Bella Jones) wrote:

> Hugh Browton <useneth@**.not.uk> wrote:
>
> > On Wed, 30 Jun 2010 23:03:51 +0100, Bella Jones wrote (in article
> > <1jkx8o9.tm8snu1fjz7e1N%me9(a)privacy.net>):
> >
> > > Dear good people of ucsm
> > >
> > > I'm not a big poster here any more, but I do pop in. For months now
> > > it's been wall to wall pointless self-referential rows with Rowland.
> >
> > In defence - no, not only that.
> >
> > But I agree that it makes the place look small minded.
> >
> > Listen to Bella, fellow-ucsm-ers.
>
> I don't mean it has been *only* that, but the last few months have been
> especially florid. It doesn't look good.
>
> Whether he intends it or not is immaterial - Rowland has become the
> uber-troll, and it's working.

It certainly does not look good, there may, or may not, be an uber-troll on
the loose but the damaging bit is the wall of posts from the vindictive and
self-righteous giving him a good kicking.

I have kill-filed the alleged uber-troll, a lot of his posts are responses
to various jibes rather than substance, and I have also kill-filed
references to the said uber-troll thereby getting rid of all the subsequent
dross.

The group becomes easier to read without the need to keep skipping over all
the rubbish.

--
djp
From: Jim on
On 2010-07-01, Chris Ridd <chrisridd(a)mac.com> wrote:

>>> TBH, I have a very good friend who was a new Mac user and came here
>>> asking for help. He wasn't put off by the rows with Rowland. He was put
>>> off by the supercilious, sneering attitude of several of the regular
>>> posters - the obvious suspects. He left after a couple of days because
>>> it was clear that he wasn't going to get any real help and he was going
>>> to be patronised by people who consider themselves to be terribly clever
>>> when they put someone down.
>>
>> Care to tell us who this was, so we can go back, take a look and assess the
>> accuracy of this statement?
>
> I would hazard that some of his perceptions might partly be down to
> usenet as a medium, and not being a web forum. But maybe something else
> happened.

Which is why I'd like to take a look at the original post and my own (if
any) replies to it.

Jim
--
Twitter:@GreyAreaUK

"If you have enough book space, I don't want to talk to you."
Terry Pratchett
From: chris on
On 01/07/10 08:25, djp wrote:
> me9(a)privacy.net (Bella Jones) wrote:
>
>> Hugh Browton<useneth@**.not.uk> wrote:
>>
>>> On Wed, 30 Jun 2010 23:03:51 +0100, Bella Jones wrote (in article
>>> <1jkx8o9.tm8snu1fjz7e1N%me9(a)privacy.net>):

>>> In defence - no, not only that.
>>>
>>> But I agree that it makes the place look small minded.
>>>
>>> Listen to Bella, fellow-ucsm-ers.
>>
>> I don't mean it has been *only* that, but the last few months have been
>> especially florid. It doesn't look good.
>>
>> Whether he intends it or not is immaterial - Rowland has become the
>> uber-troll, and it's working.
>
> It certainly does not look good, there may, or may not, be an uber-troll on
> the loose but the damaging bit is the wall of posts from the vindictive and
> self-righteous giving him a good kicking.
>
> I have kill-filed the alleged uber-troll, a lot of his posts are responses
> to various jibes rather than substance, and I have also kill-filed
> references to the said uber-troll thereby getting rid of all the subsequent
> dross.
>
> The group becomes easier to read without the need to keep skipping over all
> the rubbish.

I'm mostly a lurker here, and kill-filing Rowland and James has made the
place much easier to browse. But, like Bella said, if no-one responded
then we'd all be happier. Esp. when some of the responders use broken
newsreaders that only reference Rowland's and James's posts thereby
showing up as new threads that I need to re-ignore.